Thread: Danks gets paid!!

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

White Sox Danks gets paid!!

Per MLBTR
    Despite many rumors to the contrary, John Danks isn’t going anywhere. The White Sox have agreed to sign the left-hander to a five-year, $65MM contract extension, according to Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com (Twitter links). The news won't be announced before next week, since Danks has to take a physical for the move to become official. Doug Seyller reported the agreement on Twitter five hours ago and appears to have broken the story.

Danks would have been eligible for free agency following the 2012 season, his final year as an arbitration eligible player. Matt Swartz projected a 2012 salary of $7.6MM for the 26-year-old CAA client, who earned $6MM in 2011. That means the White Sox are paying $14-15MM for each of the four free agent seasons the deal buys out (Danks' age 28-31 seasons).

Jered Weaver's recent $85MM extension also covered one arbitration season and four free agent years. However, Weaver has superior career stats, was headed for a massive reward through arbitration and has finished in the top five in AL Cy Young balloting in both of the past two seasons. Weaver's deal was definitely out of reach for Danks and agent Jeff Berry.

Danks posted a 4.33 ERA with 7.1 K/9, 2.4 BB/9 and a 43.8% ground ball rate in 170 1/3 innings for the White Sox this past season. Only 16 pitchers in baseball have produced more wins above replacement since 2008 (15.6)
    A good deal for the White Sox as $13 million is very reasonable for a 26 year old pitcher with good stuff like Danks does. In comparison, he is making annually what Wandy Rodriguez will make next season. I like the deal for the White Sox but just can't figure out in what direction they want to go. I guess they feel Danks is a starter they can build around.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Danks gets paid!!

You can't figure out their direction...pretty sure Kenny Williams can't figure it out either. Does this mean Quentin is staying? Why the heck would you dump Santos then, who was cheaper by comparison salary wise?

Perhaps it's time for them to make a change in the front office now.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

Going For It

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

This just doesn't make any sense at all.
    I feel like the Jays made out like gang-busters if they got Santos for the next couple years from a team that could actually use him.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

They sure did. Chicago's front office is Bipolar I think