Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sox actively pursuing Burnett!

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Sox actively pursuing Burnett!

The Florida Marlins and Sox have been rumored to be talking about a deal that would bring hard-throwing A.J. Burnett to the South Side. Some media outlets have reported that the Sox have been the most aggressive team in the Burnett talks. A top Marlins scout was at U.S. Cellular Field last weekend.

Manager Ozzie Guillen is well aware of what Burnett can do from his season as the Marlins' third-base coach in 2003.
    http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-sside14.html

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    This article also talks about how they missed out on Zach Day, who was traded to the Rockies. And it mentions that rumors of getting Jason Schmidt have cooled off.

Who doesn't want Burnett these days...
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I know I would love him to pitch for the Reds. But, the White Sox are the most active on acquiring him. This could put the Sox in White over the top.

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Generalissimo
    Who doesn't want Burnett these days...
    i dont. odds are he breaks down in the 2nd half.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter
    Manager Ozzie Guillen is well aware of what Burnett can do from his season as the Marlins' third-base coach in 2003.
    No, Ozzie isn't "well aware" of Burnett. Burnett pitched only 4 games in 2003.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    There were more indications Thursday out of South Florida that the Sox have been the most aggressive of six teams interested in Burnett. The Marlins are said to be looking for a left-handed reliever with closing experience -- Damaso Marte fits the description -- and an outfielder who can help jump-start their offense -- Carl Everett could be a fit there. Both players also would be desired because of their relative affordability. A top prospect likely would have to be included.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-doug15.html

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    By Dave van Dyck
    Special to the Tribune

July 24, 2005

The White Sox, who already have the best pitching staff in the American League, may be close to landing the best pitcher available in the trade market, Florida's A.J. Burnett.

With less than a week to go before the trading deadline, the White Sox are in serious discussions about a deal that would net Burnett for minor-league starter Brandon McCarthy and left-handed reliever Damaso Marte, according to industry and team sources.

With Baltimore apparently out of the running for Burnett, the White Sox have become the favorite, although Boston remains strongly involved, those sources say.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune....ck=1&cset=true

If they could upgrade that Game 4 in any playoff season from Contreras to Burnett at a reasonable cost, well, do it. However, McCarthy and Marte? Do you want to take a key part of the pen away and a nice prospect? The prospect is something they can afford though.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

MLB ERA
    McCarthy and Marte for Burnett? That's about the cheapest offer I've seen yet. I'd do it. That's a filthy rotation:

Buehrle
    Burnett
    Garcia
    Garland
    Contreras

While I don't like the idea of giving up McCarthy, that's the best trade possibility (from a White Sox perspective) I've seen yet.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Welcome to forums Dam8610.

Anyway, I would have to agree with you on the analysis of that potential trade. I am not as high on McCarthy as some people are, but it's tough anytime losing one of your better prospects/trading chips (depending on how some look at their team's farm). But considering the fact that the White Sox would have the cash to resign Burnett (and it's obviously a team that's pretty attractive at this point) I really like it. Burnett has just filthy stuff and has the potential to even be the staff ace. That's a rotation that would be just dominate throughout the postseason. The biggest thing that would concern me on this deal is losing Marte. While he can be wild, other times he can be pretty dominating. And with trading off one of the premier prospects the White Sox have, would Ken Williams be ready to deal off another high profiled guy for the chance of grabbing a lightsout closer? It would be a big risk taking with dumping the farm out.

MLB ERA
    I've seen McCarthy at his best, and when he is at his best, I think that he is as good as people project him to be. That said, I think he is still a work in progress, and the Sox are trying to win now, so McCarthy and Marte is almost nothing for them to pay to get another quality starter. The only problem is the loss of bullpen depth, and I'm not sure how that would be addressed, as Wagner is not going to be traded, and I don't know what Seattle is looking for for Guadardo, or if the Sox would give up what they'd be asking (I know I wouldn't want an Anderson for Guadardo swap). If the Sox got both, I'd be pretty happy (that is unless they gave up a boatload of talent), but even if the Sox got Burnett and were unable to get a reliever before the deadline, I feel that Jeff Bajenaru deserves a chance in the majors anyway, and that would almost certainly give it to him. He's done very well in AAA, and I was kind of disappointed when Jenks got the call ahead of him (even though Jenks is an absolute stud talent).

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I am still so dissappointed that my Reds did not take a flier on Jenks, like you said, his talent (and his fastball) are amazing. Anyway, I believe I might of been a little too harsh on McCarthy, I think he is a great prospect but I guess I was trying to say, his talent level isn't so great to not let go of if it meant getting AJ. Not only do I think that obviously Burnett would be a great immediate impact to the White Sox but if they do what they did with Garcia last year and resign him, he will also be a big part of the future. With an impact I believe would be greater than McCarthy's.

Good thoughts though. +rep.

MLB ERA
    Well, if the deal really is McCarthy and Marte for Burnett, I would do it. Burnett's stuff is just filthy, and he's ready to make a major contribution to the team now, not in a year or 2. The only 2 problems that would be posed from such a deal are Burnett's signability (up until Garcia's deal last year, the White Sox didn't give big contracts to pitchers) and the potential problem of bullpen depth. Bajenaru, Takatsu, and (hopefully) Wagner are all potential solutions to that problem though. Think there's any chance the Marlins would take Vizcaino instead of Marte?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    as long as all the Schmidt talk is done, I don't care. Chicago papers are just about the worst when it comes to this time of year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast