Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sox actively pursuing Burnett!

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Yep I have heard that Schmidt is definitely not going anywhere. It would be huge for the Sox to get Burnett without a doubt, and I see what you guys are saying on losing good prospects. In that case, this deal makes sense for both sides. Florida would get a great return (better than anything else they could get) for a pitcher that they will not have after this season. White Sox will be insane if they get a pitcher of Burnett's quality.

MLB ERA
    The Schmidt talk hasn't completely died yet, but I really don't think the Sox are after him. On a local radio show today, it was reported that Sox GM Kenny Williams was at the Cubs-Giants game for about 3 innings last night. So, the possibility exists the the Sox are still pursuing Schmidt, however, I think the Sox are likely looking at LH reliever Scott Eyre as a possible replacement for Damaso Marte if and/or when he is shipped to Florida.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Why would the Sox not be after him if Kenny was at the game last night? Schmidt struggled but showed what a PITCHER he was. But the talk is dead and Schmidt is not going anywhere. Eyre is very possible but it will cost something. Eyre is our best reliever and he's a lefty.

Rookie
    Down in Kokomo, where we'll get there fast and then we'll take it slow.
    Rookie ERA
    White Sox should stick with going for AJ Burnett IMO especially when either pitcher will cost them one or more of their few elite prospects. Go with the youth. Schmidt is proven but Burnett is finally healthy and showing what he is capable of.

MLB ERA

White Sox

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer
    Why would the Sox not be after him if Kenny was at the game last night? Schmidt struggled but showed what a PITCHER he was. But the talk is dead and Schmidt is not going anywhere. Eyre is very possible but it will cost something. Eyre is our best reliever and he's a lefty.
    The Sox have been agressively pursuing Burnett for about a month now while the Schmidt talk has quieted for a while. He may have been there to scout Schmidt, but I think he was probably hoping to see Eyre pitch. A replacement for Marte would probably be priority #1 if Burnett was acquired, and Eyre fits the bill pretty well.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Yeah, I was confused with that a little too. i thought they might have been after either one they could get. But adding eyre and Burnett would be very impressive. Thanks Dam!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12