Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: White Sox after Griffey?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

White Sox after Griffey?

The Daily Southtown reported that the Chicago White Sox might be interested in Ken Griffey Jr.

But White Sox GM Kenny Williams said he doesn't want to upset the team chemistry.

"We have to be careful here, but nothing will change the fact that we've set our sights on the playoffs," Williams was quoted as saying. "If we're fortunate enough to get there, then we'll focus on even greater things."

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...507080428/1071

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I think the whole team chemistry thing would be in concern of Aaron Rowand, who has played pretty hard for this team. Should be interesting to see how this turns out.

Just another Griffey rumor, I'm not going to think much of it. I don't see the White Sox really being that great of a fit for Griff. W Sox are a young talented team, Griff would mess up the chemistry.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Not too sure he would mess up the chemistry. But I think it is just another rumr as well. We can't forget that Griffey can turn down any deal involving him. But I think he may be interested in going to a team that has a chance to win.

I'm sure he is interested in a team that has a chance to go far. Sox and him are just not a great fit, and I'll be surprised to see Griffey traded from the Reds this season.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Griffey may also benefit from playing for an AL team again. The DH spot looks really good for him, as it would help relieve his legs and alleviate injury problems as well.

DH is a great position for him, because he's sucked defensively at CF. He does look more attractive at the DH. The question is what is Reds looking for in exchange for Griffey? I don't see anything better than maybe a mild spect for Griffey, with Reds paying off some of Griffs contract.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I think if the Reds could get the Sox to take on Griffey's contract, the Reds would not look for much. But if they were to hang on to some of it, then they would look for some good pitching spects.

AA ERA
    Tis a sad day when the Reds now want to just dump Griffey off for a few spects. Has come a long way through all the injuries.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    It wouldn't be a Griffey dump though. It would be a look toward our future with 3 bidding talents ready to blossom and a way to free up money for pitching and a way to try and get a spect or two to help toward same future.

Rookie
    Down in Kokomo, where we'll get there fast and then we'll take it slow.
    Rookie ERA
    Well a year or two ago that was the case (dumping Griffey off for whatever.) But I think many Reds fans are having illusions of grandeur with possible trade scenario's. But with how much money they have had to shell out for Griffey and his injuries, unless you get a decent offer, why not just ride it out? Knowing the Reds luck, Griffey will regain bat speed and defensive range and make this Milt Pappas for Frank Robinson version 2005.

I don't think any team would feel comfortable giving up some good spects for a guy like Griffey. That's why I said earlier, I don't see Reds dealing Griffey this season.

Rookie
    Down in Kokomo, where we'll get there fast and then we'll take it slow.
    Rookie ERA
    It all depends on the amount of the contract they have to take on. If the Reds were smart, they would either keep him or deal him (and a boatload of cash for his contract) off for a quality prospect or two. Either cut your losses and try to salavage what you can or go down with the sunken ship.Paying a small portion of the contract to get shitty prospects won't help them. At least Griffey still puts butts in the seats.

At this point Reds should just ride it out. The team who gives a couple quality spects for Griffey will be criticized and ridiculed for doing such a stupid trade. Quality spect for 35 yr old OF past his prime, Griffey + cash just isn't equal in my eyes.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    That is exactly how most GMs think and is exactly why Griffey has not moved already. But with the Reds being out of it without a doubt already, they may try even harder to move Jr. to free up money. So even if they do not get any prospects out of it, they still may go for it. Dan O"Brien is seeing that there has been interest in him even though he is past his prime. And that they are still paying for him on prime numbers, so why not give him to someone who wants him? Especially since the Reds have plenty of outfielders that are much cheaper.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast