Thread: Vizquel Close to Deal

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

White Sox Vizquel Close to Deal

The White Sox are close to signing free-agent shortstop Omar Vizquel to a one-year contract, according to a major-league source.

Vizquel, 42, will serve largely as a backup to shortstop Alexei Ramirez, but also can spell second baseman Gordon Beckham and third baseman Mark Teahen.

He spent last season with the Rangers in a similar role, appearing in 27 games at short, 20 at third and 16 at second.

The move will unite Vizquel, perhaps the greatest shortstop from Venezuela, with his countryman, White Sox manager — and former shortstop — Ozzie Guillen.

The White Sox's lineage of Venezuelan shortstops goes back even further — all the way to Hall of Famer Luis Aparicio.
    I think Vizquel helped Elvis Andrus last year and think the same can happen with the likes of Gordon and Ramirez. he won't provide anything offensively but he is like having another coach on the team.

MLB ERA

Re: Vizquel Close to Deal

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

I agree LTR, and seeing how well he did with Andrus gives a team hope that he can do the same with their young up and comers. I think it is easier to have a player-coach mentor a young player than a manager. The boss's bark is always louder than the peer.

Good signing. Hopefully both Gordon and Ramirez will benefit in a big way.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

The White Sox are paying him 1.375 million to be a mentor and I think it is well worth it.

Yup. The Sox young players got tons potentials, just need someone to guide them in the right direction.
    LOVE THEE NOTRE DAME!