Thread: White Sox trade Vazquez to Braves

MLB ERA

White Sox White Sox trade Vazquez to Braves

ESPN - Source: Javier Vazquez dealt to Atlanta Braves in 5-player deal
    Sox trade Vazquez, Logan to Braves; get 3 in return :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Sports

Vazquez, along with left-handed reliever Boone Logan, will go to the Braves in exchange for three players believed to be left-handed pitcher Jo-Jo Reyes, infielder Brent Lillibridge and a catcher, presumably Tyler Flowers, according to published reports.
    The Atlanta Constitution-Journal is reporting a different deal, but this is the most commonly reported deal, hence the 2 links and quote. If true, I like the deal for the White Sox, Reyes looks to be a young power lefty who can start and gets lots of Ks, and if Tyler Flowers can hold up to his potential, he could be a great catcher in the future. On paper, Vazquez is an excellent starter, he has amazing stuff, strikes out a lot of batters, and pitches a lot of innings. In practice, however, he always seems to give up the big inning at the most inopportune time. If he was back next season, I wouldn't have minded him as a 4th starter, but now hopefully a couple of these young guys can step up, make the roster, and have decent seasons. Boone Logan is a decent, but not good, reliever, if the Braves are only looking to him to be a LOOGY, they'll be happy with him.
    http://img457.imageshack.us/img457/1526/jenkssigya5.jpg

Carlos Quentin for MVP!

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: White Sox trade Vazquez to Braves

On paper he doesn't even look good.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    On paper he doesn't even look good.
    Sure he does, if you ignore certain things...like ERA, WHIP, etc...

Carlos Quentin for MVP!

(\__/)

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Oh, those little things.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Here's an idea of what the Sox got back in return:

White Sox acquired catcher Tyler Flowers, infielder Brent Lillibridge, third baseman Jon Gilmore and LHP Santos Rodriguez from the Braves for RHP Javier Vazquez and LHP Boone Logan.
    Flowers became an especially hot item by following up a .288/.427/.494 season in the Carolina League with a .387/.460/.973 line and 12 homers in 75 at-bats in the Arizona Fall League. The power is for real, and he'll probably keep posting quality OBPs, though perhaps not with such nifty batting averages. Still, whether this turns out to be a good deal for the White Sox could come down to Flowers' ability to last at catcher. He's more likely to end up as a first baseman or DH. Expect him to open 2009 in Double-A.

Shortstop Brent Lillibridge was traded from the Braves to the White Sox in a six-player deal.
    Lillibridge was a modest disappointment in his first year in the Braves system and a far bigger one in the second, hitting just .220/.294/.344 in Triple-A and .200/.238/.338 in 80 at-bats in the majors. He showed plenty of on-base ability previously, and that he could be an option at second, short and center field means he shouldn't have to hit all that well in order to have a career in the majors. However, he's probably not going to be a regular. The White Sox could have him battle Chris Getz and Jayson Nix for a starting job at second if they fail to find anyone better.

Third baseman Jon Gilmore was picked up from the Braves in the Javier Vazquez deal.
    Gilmore, the 33rd overall selection in the 2007 draft, was a bust at low Single-A Rome at the beginning of last season, but he did bounce back following a demotion. He ended up hitting .186/.202/.196 in 102 at-bats for Rome and .337/.365/.473 in 258 at-bats for SS Single-A Danville. He just turned 20 in August and he probably has 25-homer potential, so he is a prospect. Still, he doesn't currently project as a starting third baseman in the majors.

Left-hander Santos Rodriguez was traded from the Braves to the White Sox in a six-player deal.
    Rodriguez is probably the No. 2 talent in the deal for the White Sox, but there's a lot of things that could go wrong before he's ready for the majors. The 6-foot-5, 180-pound left-hander had a 2.79 ERA and a 45/13 K/BB ratio in 29 innings out of the pen for the Rookie GCL Braves last season. As he fills out and gets stronger, he should be an option as a starting pitcher.

MLB ERA

Oh god, no Reyes?

This deal is terrible for the present, and with no SP in return, I don't really like how it looks for the future either.

Carlos Quentin for MVP!

(\__/)

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I think Williams is cooking something up by getting rid of all this salary. I wouldn't pass judgment just yet.

MLB ERA

I think Williams is cooking something up by getting rid of all this salary. I wouldn't pass judgment just yet.
    I get what you're saying, look at it like Lee for Podsednik, which actually netted the Sox about 5 players that contributed to a championship, but that's the only time that happened. Otherwise the bad trades have just been bad trades.

Carlos Quentin for MVP!

(\__/)

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I was talking more along the lines of a huge free agent signing.

MLB ERA

I was talking more along the lines of a huge free agent signing.
    Unless it's Sabathia or maybe Sheets if he can ever stay healthy, MAYBE Teixiera, what's the point?

Carlos Quentin for MVP!

(\__/)

MLB ERA

To improve upon the mediocrity that is Javier Vazquez?

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by ljshorty89 View Post
    To improve upon the mediocrity that is Javier Vazquez?
    With whom? If Jo-Jo Reyes was coming to the South Side, I could see your point, but the White Sox got no pitcher who was even NEAR ML ready in this deal. If the Sox don't sign Sabathia or Sheets, who else on the free agent market if going to be an upgrade over Vazquez? Burnett? No, he's mediocre and oft injured. Garland? He won't come back, he's staying on the West Coast, and besides, he's also mediocre. Prior? The very definition of "oft injured", plus he seems to have lost it. Mulder? See Prior. I'm not really seeing another starting pitcher out there beyond those two (and Sheets only when healthy) that would be a definite upgrade over Vazquez, and even if one does exist, the Sox probably won't offer him more than 4 years, and he'll probably end up signing elsewhere.

Carlos Quentin for MVP!

(\__/)

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Burnett is far better than Vazquez. I feel Williams will make a big splash at the winter meetings. Williams has cleared a lot of cash.