Thread: Fields Almost Retired?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Fields Almost Retired?

Talking at a Fellowship of Christian Athletes luncheon, Josh Fields said he considered walking away from baseball after last season.
    "When I got my first taste of the big leagues in 2006, it was everything that I had dreamed about," Fields said. "But the further I got into my professional career, the more I had to deal with everything else that goes along with being a professional athlete. There were so many things going on in the clubhouse that I really questioned if professional baseball was for me. However, I prayed about it and realized there is nowhere I could have more influence right now than in that clubhouse." If Fields wants Ozzie Guillen to swear less frequently, he should probably start by cutting back on the strikeouts. Fields is expected to start at third for the White Sox this year, though it won't be official unless Joe Crede is traded.
    I think it is foolish to even think about walking away from the gift that god gave you. I personally don't believe in god (notice no capital letters) but do understand the Christian beliefs. If you have a problem with some of the things guys do in locker rooms and off the field, DON'T DO THEM!! Make your millions and use that money to help your heavenly cause. Seems like the right thing to do to me.

MLB ERA

Re: Fields Almost Retired?

And it seems like that's the choice he's making.

Enough with the fake rage, LTR
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Josh Fields held a conference call with reporters on Thursday night to refute reports that he ever considered retirement.
    Fields expressed surprise at the Tulsa World's take on his comments, insisting that he never considered walking away from the game, but that he simply questioned if professional baseball was the right career choice for him. He also mentioned that he was planning on reporting to camp early to get in better baseball shape.
    Just to follow up.

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

I would've retired too if I was playing for the White Sox.