Thread: Rumor: Garland for Renteria

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Rumor: Garland for Renteria

per mlb traderumors:

Found via Buster Olney's blog: Peter Gammons suggested that the White Sox and Braves have discussed a Jon Garland for Edgar Renteria swap.
    Renteria, soon to turn 32, is hitting better this year than he ever has. He's quite a bargain for Atlanta, because the Red Sox are footing much of the bill. Assuming Boston's $8MM contribution was spread evenly for 2006-08, the Braves are paying Renteria about 6.66MM this year and the same in 2008. Renteria also has an $11MM option for 2009 on which Boston would pay the $3MM buyout if necessary. At present it seems very likely to be exercised though. Yunel Escobar can handle shortstop defensively, so the Braves have an in-house replacement. Kelly Johnson deserves to be playing every day.
    Garland will turn 28 in September. He's making $10MM this year and $12MM in '08. He'd give the Braves some much-needed stability, and the team would have a formidable front four of John Smoltz, Tim Hudson, Chuck James, and Garland. Despite a lack of strikeouts, Garland should be able to keep his ERA under 4 in the NL. One concern is that Garland has a persistent knot in his throwing shoulder, though it doesn't hurt and he thinks he will just pitch through it for the rest of his career.
    If Kenny Williams can't come up with a shortstop this summer, I could see him going after Omar Vizquel, who he tried to sign in the winter of 2004-05.
    Link

I was talking to a friend of mine today who is an avid Braves fan and he just kept making it clear that the Braves need pitching badly. Escobar may not be ready to replace someone like Renteria, but for Garland, I think the Braves will take the stab.

Renteria would come cheap as mentioned above and is hitting very well this year. The scary thing is bringing him back to the AL where he didn't do so well in his stint with the Red Sox.

Question is, would you White Sox fans make this trade? Is it worth a Garland?

MLB ERA

Re: Rumor: Garland for Renteria

Renteria right now is very valuable IMO. Garland is only 7-7 with a 4.15 ERA to this point in time. Not a fair trade IMO. All Braves fan know that they needs a veteran starter but giving up Renteria for Garland is unbalanced. Another player should be thrown in the mix.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers Re: Rumor: Garland for Renteria

like maybe a SS?

I don't like this trade rumor too much either.

I know the Sox want to get Uribe out of there, but I don't think Garland is going to be successful in Atlanta.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DravenX View Post
    Garland is only 7-7 with a 4.15 ERA to this point in time. Not a fair trade IMO.
    7-7 with a 4.15 ERA is solid for a starting pitcher on a losing team such as the White Sox.

MLB ERA

I'll keep the 27 year old (28 in September) who can throw 200+ innings a year with an ERA+ of 100 or better in each of the last 3 seasons, thanks. I think any GM in their right mind would as well.
    http://img457.imageshack.us/img457/1526/jenkssigya5.jpg

Carlos Quentin for MVP!

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

The White Sox obviously aren't going to contend this year, so why trade for Renteria?
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Any reasonable GM would dump Garland for real talent.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers Re: Rumor: Garland for Renteria

agreed Zito!!!

Always thought Garland was a bit over-rated!!!