Thread: Buehrle and Dye being shopped?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Buehrle and Dye being shopped?

As constructed, the White Sox aren't a playoff team. Their station-to-station lineup won't generate nearly enough runs the way the team is hitting (last in the American League in OBP and OPS). It's a minor miracle the Sox are two games over .500 as their minus-23 margin of runs scored and allowed ranks 11th in the league.

General manager Ken Williams did not repair the lineup's dead spots in center field, left field and shortstop and now finds first base, second base and third base underperforming. That's an epidemic of second-division proportions.

Without depth in the farm system, the Sox may consider trading Mark Buehrle and Jermaine Dye in an attempt to rebuild on the fly. It would be a huge mistake not to re-sign Buehrle.
    ChicagoSports.com: Sammy backs words with bat

First of all, wow. If you are just above .500 and are tryingto make up for lost production in certain areas, why do you trade a bonafide MVP candidate last year and a very respectable starting pitcher on the fly? I saw this and was thinking about the Griffey trade rumors last season. I dont see it working here.

For one, the Reds aren't that lucky. And two, it just doesn't make since for the Sox. What is your GM thinking right now?

MLB ERA

Re: Buehrle and Dye being shopped?

That would allow the Sox to rebuild in the mold of whomever they decide to replace Ozzie as their manager. I believe his days are numbered in Chicago, especially if the Sox continue to struggle.
    It appears he has lost his clubhouse, at least at times.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers Re: Buehrle and Dye being shopped?

uuummm... interesting. I saw that on Rumor Central on ESPN's webpage. Bet the asking price is mighty steep.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

A rumor that surfaced less than two weeks ago, which had the Sox exploring a deal that would send Dye to the Yankees for struggling outfielder Bobby Abreu, has started to take on some life, according to one Sox source close to the situation.
    Not only because Abreu is a good friend of Guillen's -- which worked out well when right-hander Freddy Garcia came over -- but also because the Sox believe Abreu is a slow starter and his best baseball this season is ahead of him. The organization also reportedly isn't too thrilled with comments from Dye in which he came off as uncaring about where he plays.
    Dye trade rumors won't die :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: White Sox
    Abreau to the Sox! That would be huge. I know Dye was amazing last season, but Abreau could be even better for you guys IMO. What do you guys think?

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

I really wouldn't want Dye for Abreu...what we need is a RF who can play defense. Abreu looks lost out there too many times and you can't hide him with the equally awful Matsui in LF.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Sounds like Kenny Williams is not interested in Abreu. This could be a moot point already.

CHICAGO - A published report in Chicago indicated the Yankees and White Sox were discussing a Bobby Abreu-for-Jermaine Dye trade, but sources said yesterday that Chicago had no desire to pursue such a deal.
    A source with knowledge of the situation said Yankee GM Brian Cashman had followed up the report by placing a call to counterpart Kenny Williams, but Williams expressed no interest in swapping outfielders.
    Dye will be a free agent at the end of the season, while the Yankees have a $16 million option on Abreu, who has a full no-trade clause.
    Abreu is close friends with White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen, but he said last night that he hasn't thought what it would be like to play for the fiery skipper.
    "I'm here right now, so my mind is here," Abreu said.
    Abreu rumor Dyes with GM call

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers Re: Buehrle and Dye being shopped?

if i was kenny williams, i wouldnt be interested in that offer either! a-rod for dye maybe!