http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASA...=.jsp&c_id=cws

CHICAGO -- With near sellout crowds expected at U.S. Cellular Field for all four games against Baltimore next weekend, Frank Thomas realizes the buzz that has been created by Sammy Sosa's first trip back to Chicago as part of the Orioles.
But the White Sox slugger is hoping to be out of the area when Sosa arrives. It's clearly nothing personal against Sosa, but Thomas believes he could be ready for a Minor League rehab assignment after he returns with the team from a six-game road trip to Toronto and Tampa.

Triple-A Charlotte figures to be Thomas' rehab destination, but the Knights have just five games at home starting next Thursday, before they embark on an eight-game road trip to Ottawa and Buffalo. Charlotte finishes May and starts June with an eight-game homestand, followed by travels to Indianapolis and Louisville.

By that time, Thomas sounds as if he hopes to be back with the White Sox.

"I don't see it being too long with the way I'm hitting the ball right now," Thomas said of his stint in Charlotte. "I'm seeing so much batting practice. To me, I've always been a hitter that's all about timing.

"Now, I'm getting used to seeing the ball released from the pitcher's hand and when I go (to Charlotte), I'll take every at-bat seriously. I don't plan on being there forever."

Thomas ran the bases during batting practice once again Wednesday and reported great progress in terms of the amount of pain he still feels. The biggest concern for Thomas, though, is the pain level on the ensuing day after he runs, and he gave solid marks to his bounce-back ability over the past week.

"I have to get to the point mentally to start doing the natural cuts," Thomas said of his running. "That's going to be the next phase, just letting it go, instead of trying to guide every step.

"It's going to be OK. I'm taking my time and I'm happy the team is winning so that pressure isn't on to get back before I'm ready. I'm going to keep maxing it out. That's all I can do."

Thursday marks the third shockwave treatment Thomas will receive on the sore tissue area right above where the surgery was performed on Oct. 6 to repair his fractured left navicular. Thomas mentioned that this specific treatment usually is prescribed for every 10 days, but he's doing everything he can to get himself back on the field.

If Thomas comes back by the first or second week of June, he serves as an early trade deadline pickup for a team currently holding a 3 1/2-game lead over the Minnesota Twins. Thomas has no doubt he can fit into the great team chemistry that has been established, ready to do anything requested by manager Ozzie Guillen, aside from possibly laying down a bunt.

"My bunting is no good," said Thomas with a laugh. "I don't think Carl [Everett], Paul [Konerko] or myself will be doing any bunting. When I come back, hopefully I won't disrupt anything.

"Every team needs a shot in the arm and hopefully I can be that for this team. On a consistent basis, I'm going to get up there and take my hacks."

Steady as he goes: If 34 starts represents a season's worth of work for Mark Buehrle, a number he has reached in each of the last three years, then the left-hander has pitched one complete season of staying at least into the sixth inning. With Buehrle's effort during Tuesday night's victory, he extended his six-inning endurance streak to 34 consecutive games.

Buehrle bounced back to get the win, despite allowing three home runs, after losing two three-run leads in his last start at Oakland.

"I should have won that last game," Buehrle said. "And (Tuesday's) game, I feel like I shouldn't have won."

Guillen is anything but amazed by Buehrle's run of consistency. He also knows that Buehrle's ability to work deep into games increases his chances to pick up victories.

"This is a kid who is going to do everything for the team," Guillen said of Buehrle, who is 19-10 over the past 34 starts. "You need to rest your bullpen? He might throw you eight innings and do what he's supposed to do. It's hard to find one like that."

On the air: Donn Pall and Robin Ventura were announced as replacements in the television broadcast booth for Ken "Hawk" Harrelson, as the veteran play-by-play man recovers from Wednesday's surgery to repair a detached retina in his right eye. Pall joins Darrin Jackson for the final two games at home against the Royals and the three-game weekend set in Toronto, while Ventura teams up with Jackson for next week's three games against Tampa Bay, ending the six-game road trip. Harrelson is expected back for the start of the four-game home set against the Orioles.

Pall, 45, was 21-19 with a 3.45 ERA in 255 appearances with the White Sox. He also pitched for the Phillies, Yankees, Cubs and Marlins over his 10-year career. Ventura, 37, retired this past offseason after a stellar 16-year run, including a stint with the White Sox from 1989 to 1998. Ventura made his broadcasting debut on March 21, when he filled in for Jackson during a Spring Training White Sox telecast.

Down on the farm: Thomas Collaro continued his early-season power outburst, launching his eighth home run, during Class A Winston-Salem's 11-3 victory at Frederick on Tuesday. Collaro leads the Carolina League in long balls and is tied for second with 19 RBIs.

Josh Fields hit his second home run and drove in two, giving him 18 RBIs for the season, but Double-A Birmingham fell to West Tennessee by a 9-5 margin. Casey Rogowski added two hits, and Ryan Meaux struck out three over 4 1/3 scoreless innings of relief. Brian Anderson and Michael Spidale had two hits apiece in Charlotte's 4-3 loss at Richmond in 13 innings. The Knights used seven pitchers, with Arnie Munoz suffering the defeat.

On deck: For the sixth time this season, Jose Contreras makes a run at his first decision. Contreras has not been part of the game's final decision during eight of his last nine starts, dating back to 2004. The right-hander holds a 2-0 record with a 2.74 ERA in four starts against the Royals, including carrying a no-hitter into the seventh inning of last year's season finale at Kauffman Stadium.