http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASA...=.jsp&c_id=cws

Chicago (16-4) at Oakland (9-11), 9:05 p.m. CT
By Scott Merkin / MLB.com
ADVERTISEMENT

print this page | e-mail this page
Think about how different this amazing White Sox start could have been if Mark Buehrle's foot injury was as serious as originally feared when it first happened on March 20. More than one month later, Buehrle barely even gives that frightful moment a second thought as he prepares to take the mound Tuesday night.
"I actually haven't thought about it," said Buehrle of what was eventually diagnosed as a stress reaction to a previous injury in his left foot, suffered while he was shagging fly balls during practice in Tucson, Ariz. "It's one of those things where when I'm walking around or shagging, I'm not thinking, 'I better not do this or that because my foot will hurt.'

"It's just like every day before it ever happened," Buehrle added.

For the second time this season, Buehrle will be part of an aces-high showdown. His only loss in 2005 came during a Sunday night contest in the Metrodome, when Minnesota's Johan Santana bested him. On Tuesday, it's Rich Harden, Oakland's hard-throwing right-hander, challenging Buehrle.

According to White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen, there was nobody more impressive than Harden against the White Sox during Spring Training.

The White Sox will be looking for their ninth straight victory. They also will try to improve to 7-0 on this three-city, eight-game road trip.

Pitching matchup
CWS: LHP Mark Buehrle
• 3-1, 2.61 ERA in 2005
• 0-1, 3.75 in 2004 vs. OAK

OAK: RHP Rich Harden
• 2-0, 0.44 ERA in 2005
• 2-0, 1.80 ERA vs. CWS in 2004

Player to watch
Carl Everett broke out of an 0-for-14 funk Monday with a two-run double in the seventh inning. He has a chance to build on that success Tuesday, with two hits in five previous career at-bats against Harden. Everett, who has a team-high 19 RBIs, also hit a long home run against Harden during Spring Training.

Quotable
"Sometimes you can't explain why it happens. When things are going well and teams are playing well, unexpected people sometime step up and get the hit that day." -- Chris Widger, on delivering the game-winning home run during Monday's 6-0 victory.

On the Internet
MLB.TV
Gameday Audio
• Gameday
• Official game notes

On television
• CWS: WCIU-TV
• OAK: KICU, Ch. 36

On radio
• CWS: ESPN Radio, AM 1000
• OAK: KFRC 610 AM

Quick hits
The White Sox have led in all 20 games this season, the longest streak in club history and the longest in the Majors since San Diego led at some point in its first 22 games in 1998 ... The White Sox snapped a four-game homerless streak in the seventh, with Widger's blast ... Jon Garland tied his career-high with the four-game winning streak, previously set from April 15 to May 1, 2002 ... Joe Crede has hit safely in 15 of his last 16 games. He is batting .389 with eight RBIs during that span ... The White Sox have a 10-2 road record, a 10-2 record at night and are 6-0 on this current eight-game road trip. They are 3-1 against the American League West.

On deck
• Wednesday: White Sox at Oakland, 2:35 p.m.
• Thursday: Off day
• Friday: Detroit at White Sox, 7:05 p.m.