http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASA...=.jsp&c_id=cws

Garland improves to 4-0; Widger delivers big blast
By Scott Merkin / MLB.com

Chris Widger's two-run blast in the seventh inning broke open a scoreless duel. (Ben Margot/AP)
Related Links

OAKLAND -- For those few remaining skeptics who don't believe in the legitimacy of the White Sox's blazing 2005 start, Monday's 6-0 whitewash of Oakland at McAfee Coliseum finally should silence those doubters.
Yes, the White Sox actually won a game in Oakland. Not just a game, but also the series opener. It's the first time the South Siders have started a set against the A's in Oakland with a win since 1999.

Since 2000, when the White Sox won six of the nine games played between the two clubs, the A's hold a 27-9 advantage. During games played at the Coliseum, Oakland took 16 of the 18 meetings over that same timeframe.

"We were in stretch, and I heard guys talking about winning one series in Oakland during the entire time they have been here," said White Sox catcher Chris Widger, whose two-run home run in the seventh off Barry Zito broke a scoreless tie and proved to be the game-winner.

"That's the beautiful thing about a new year, with some new faces on this team," Widger added. "We haven't been through that kind of experience with those guys, so it doesn't mean anything to the rest of us."

The early Oakland success was a nice bonus coming from Monday's effort, but a look behind the other winning numbers points out the White Sox's unparalleled excellence through 20 games. The White Sox have won eight straight, their longest winning streak since winning eight straight from July 18-25, 2003. They are 6-0 on this current eight-game road trip, and their 10-2 start on the road is not only the best in baseball but also matches their best 12-game road start since 1959.

Of course, the White Sox's 16-4 record is far and away the best in baseball. And with Minnesota's loss to Detroit on Monday afternoon, Ozzie Guillen's crew now holds a five-game lead in the American League Central.

Monday's formula for victory wasn't much different than what was used the previous 15 times this season. The White Sox took great pitching from Jon Garland and mixed in some timely hitting from Widger -- the latest star of the day.

After Zito (0-4) cruised through the first six innings, limiting the White Sox to just two singles, Juan Uribe started the seventh-inning uprising with a bloop single to center. Widger followed by blasting a 2-2 fastball from Zito deep down the left-field line for his first home run of the season and his first long ball since April 9, 2000.

Widger clearly remembered that last trip around the bases, explaining how it came against the White Sox's Mike Sirotka, after Widger had been traded from Montreal back to Seattle. Monday's drive had a little more meaning for the veteran catcher, after what he has fought through over the past few years to return to the game, so A.J. Pierzynski retrieved the baseball for his friend and teammate.

"I was trying to hit the ball hard, not doing anything special," said Widger of his 51st career home run. "He already had jammed me twice in the two previous at-bats and he had everything going tonight. A guy in my position, you don't look to hit a home run any time, much less against a guy throwing that good. You just try to get a base hit."

"With the way we have been swinging the bat, every hit we get is big," Guillen added. "But we do have a lot of clutch hitting. The one thing I don't want is guys pressing to do too much. Just believe in yourself and do what you are supposed to do. Just perform and see what happens."

Carl Everett doubled home two more runs off Zito before the seventh came to a close, and Paul Konerko added a two-run single in the ninth off Juan Cruz. That support was more than enough for Garland, whose second career shutout lowered his ERA to a sparkling 1.80 overall. He retired the final 13 Oakland hitters and allowed only one extra-base hit -- Marco Scutaro's two-out double in the fifth.

With his sinker not really working as it had previously this season, Garland featured a devastating changeup to shut down Oakland (9-11).

"The changeup kept guys off-balance," said Garland, whose only other career shutout came on Aug. 28, 2002, against Toronto. "When I did throw the fastball, they couldn't jump on it, and for the most part, I was ahead in the count.

"It feels real good," added Garland of becoming the first White Sox pitcher to win his first four starts since Esteban Loaiza in 2003, throwing 116 pitches on Monday. "It feels even better to give my team the starts I'm giving them and keeping them in the game and giving us a chance to go out and win."

Every win feels good to the White Sox, basically, because it's a new person each night leading the way. Monday belonged to Widger and Garland.

Tuesday could be Mark Buehrle's night, as well as someone like Aaron Rowand or Timo Perez. But if the White Sox can win two straight in Oakland, an already crowded bandwagon could take on a few new passengers.

"That's the biggest thing in my head," said Garland of winning in Oakland. "We seem to have tough times winning here. But we broke out of it and guys came around and swung the bats well."

"Even when I played, we had a tough time to win here," Guillen added. "It's a different ballclub. Our pitching is a lot better right now."