Thread: McCarthy gets first start of 2006

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

McCarthy gets first start of 2006

Charlie Haeger threw six scoreless innings during Triple-A Charlotte's 4-2 victory at Louisville on Monday afternoon, with Haeger striking out six and walking six. If Haeger pitched that well last Wednesday against the Angels, then the knuckleballer might still be part of the White Sox rotation and take his scheduled turn Tuesday in St. Petersburg.

Instead, it's Brandon McCarthy stepping up from the bullpen into the rotation for probably one start. The lanky right-hander was characterized as the sixth starter going into the 2006 season, after his strong finish as part of the rotation during September of 2005. But since McCarthy wasn't stretched out enough for last Wednesday's start, the job went to Haeger.

"I wish we had more time to start him a couple of days ago, but this kid threw the ball extremely well last time," said Guillen of McCarthy, who allowed two earned runs during four innings in relief of Haeger.

"Just give me the best you can first game out," Guillen added. "Don't try to rush. Don't try to go nine innings when you can't."

McCarthy has no illusions of pitching nine innings, unless he crafts the most efficient game of his career. As a starter during Spring Training, McCarthy pushed his pitch count into the low 80s, and his season-high pitch count of 58 came on April 13 against Detroit. Between 60 and 70 pitches is a more realistic goal during Tuesday's series opener against the Devil Rays, forcing McCarthy to attack the strike zone in order to last five or six innings.

In preparation for his first start of the season, McCarthy threw a side session Friday with a pitch count in the 50s. McCarthy understands this role will be temporary, with Jose Contreras scheduled to return from the disabled list and pitch Sunday against the Cubs.

Nonetheless, McCarthy is eager for Tuesday's start to finally arrive.

"It's been a lot slower," said McCarthy of the five days in between appearances. "The days in the bullpen felt like they just were going by, going by, going by. Now, all of a sudden, I can't believe how slow it has gone.

"I remember the first start of the year always takes forever to get to, and then after that, they shoot through. It's good to know I'm starting. It doesn't feel like I'm back in that role, being that this is a temporary thing.

"But it's kind of fun to go back and feel that difference again, of planning your time for four days and getting ready for a day -- that kind of becomes more yours than just [being] up in the air," McCarthy added.
    Source

It should be an exciting matchup with Kazmir and McCarthy today. I might catch some of it before I go to work tonight.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

MLB ERA

White Sox

I'm glad that BMac is getting his first start, but I hope he can go more than 60-70 pitches (roughly 5 innings), which is the pitch count I've heard they have him on.
    http://img457.imageshack.us/img457/1526/jenkssigya5.jpg

Carlos Quentin for MVP!

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Does anyone know how well he did? I am looking froward to seeing how this guy does as he grows through the process of maturing in the game.

MLB ERA

White Sox

Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter
    Does anyone know how well he did? I am looking froward to seeing how this guy does as he grows through the process of maturing in the game.
    He actually did pretty well despite what his line would suggest. He did give up two solo shots, but other than that, he only allowed one hit (which came around to score thanks to Boone Logan) in 4 innings. He wasn't very efficient with his pitches though, as it took him about 80 pitches to get through 4+ IP, but I think that was partially because he's been pitching in relief all year.
    http://img457.imageshack.us/img457/1526/jenkssigya5.jpg

Carlos Quentin for MVP!

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.