Thread: White Sox continue winning ways in KC

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

White Sox continue winning ways in KC

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASA...=.jsp&c_id=cws

Garcia sharp, bottom of order delivers
    By Matt LaWell / MLB.com

Freddy Garcia, who has had trouble against the Royals in the past, cruised on Friday. (Orlin Wagner/AP)
    Related Links

KANSAS CITY -- Scott Podsednik scored just one run Friday night against the Royals, though it hardly mattered.
    Why? Because he was the ultimate table-setter. He reached safely in five of his six plate appearances, he bothered Royals' pitchers all night and he ignited the White Sox to an 8-2 win over the struggling Royals in Kauffman Stadium.

"That's my job," Podsednik said. "I'm trying to get on base and put myself in scoring position."

Podsednik did just that as the White Sox rolled to their fifth straight win, and their ninth in the last 11 games. He walked in the first, second and fourth innings, each time on five pitches. He reached on a fielder's choice and scored in the sixth, before singling in the seventh and ninth. He also wound up with three stolen bases, one off his career high.

"That's what we need," manager Ozzie Guillen said. "Our on-base percentage was real poor the last two weeks and we'll see now if it can get better ... but I don't worry about Podsednik.

"He knows what he needs to do, and he knows what we need from him. The more times on base, the more we a chance to do big things."

The White Sox certainly did big things as they pounded the Royals into submission. They banged out 12 hits, they reached base 20 times -- 12 times by hits, seven by walks and once by error -- and they scored in five different innings.

Six different batters recorded at least one hit, and the bottom third of the order -- A.J. Pierzynski, Joe Crede and Juan Uribe -- went 8-for-13, scored six runs and drove in three more.

Though the Sox offense was ranked eighth in the American League prior to the game, it certainly looked like one of the best Friday night.

"I feel like we can score a run in any way and in any inning," Guillen said. "We don't know how to get all nine hitters hot at the same time -- and we wish we could -- but the guys hitting right now are getting clutch hits and seeing the ball real good."

The Sox opened the scoring in the second when Pierzynski singled and advanced to second on an out. Uribe then doubled him home and advanced to third on a fielding error. Second baseman Tadahito Iguchi drove in Uribe.

In the fourth, Crede was hit by a pitch, advanced to second on Uribe's single and scored after Royals starter Runelvys Hernandez walked consecutive batters.

Two innings later, Crede and Podsednik scored thanks to two hits, a walk and a fielder's choice. Aaron Rowand and Pierzynski scored in the seventh using three singles and a double, and Crede came around in the ninth on a single and a throwing error.

Not to be lost in the shuffle and runs and hits is right-hander Freddy Garcia, who turned what was arguably his best outing of the season, and who Crede said was "awesome."

Garcia scattered two runs and four hits over seven innings of work and was never in trouble. At one point, he set down 12 straight batters, and he retired 15 of the last 16 he faced.

"It was pretty good," said Garcia, who also struck out three and didn't walk a batter. "It's what you want."

Garcia's manager wasn't quite as modest about his starter's performance.

"Today he was throwing the ball the way he was capable of throwing the ball," Guillen said. "He kept us in the game."

Aside from keeping the South Siders in the game, Garcia continued a string of excellent starting pitching. Through 17 games, Sox starters are 10-3 with an AL-best 2.88 ERA; only the Red Sox's rotation is within even half a run.

Though the season is barely one-tenth complete, the Sox are running on every cylinder -- pitching, defense, timely hitting -- and they're off to their best start in 70 years.

Their best hitter then was Luke Appling. Their best hitter now, statistically, is Crede, who is batting .328. But their most important hitter? That would be a 29-year-old outfielder who has one extra-base hit this season and whose speed can change a game.

That would be Podsednik.

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA
    Everyone continued to ignore our pitching staff this offseason. Stating Other teams have better pitching staffs than ours.. I knew all along that we had the best starting pitching in the league. I was really worried about our offense, which has picked up lately. We are 13-4 right now! I think best or second best recond in the MLB. Our starting rotation is 10-3 with an AL leading ERA of 2.88. They also top the league in innings pitched.

White Sox are playing just amazing this season. 7 straight wins. Very impressive.