CHICAGO -- The loud boos ringing out from 75 percent of the Cleveland fans at Jacobs Field on Monday night clearly disappointed Jim Thome to some extent. But the well-documented jeers certainly didn't devastate the team "first leader," with the White Sox holding on for victory during that particular contest.

But the change in atmosphere at a ballpark that once featured one of baseball's best home-field advantages is really what surprised the White Sox designated hitter and former Indians stalwart.

"Big time," said Thome of the different feel at Jacobs Field. "That's what was a little disappointing, after all the years that I had the opportunity to spend there and see it all so different. It's kind of sad toward the city that it's gotten to that point.

"I was sitting there that night and looking through the crowd, and the vibe in Jacobs Field is nothing what we had there in the '90s," Thome said.

Thome played for the Indians from 1991-2002, before leaving via free agency for Philadelphia. He was a central figure on the dominant Cleveland squads that produced 455 consecutive sellouts at Jacobs Field, from mid-1995 to April 4, 2001. It's a record that is more than twice the previous mark held by the Colorado Rockies.

General manager Mark Shapiro has made some exceptional moves to build the Indians back into a viable World Series contender, let alone a challenge to the White Sox American League Central crown. But the crowd clearly is now of a different mindset, both in size and support, according to Thome.

"When we had our good runs, the crowd put pressure on the opponents and you didn't sense that at all," Thome said. "It's hard to put a label on what's going on there.

"It was definitely different from a guy who had spent a long time there. To go back and see that, it was just totally, it really surprised me. I never imagined it would feel like that going back."

Throwback finisher: After stranding the go-ahead run at third base in the top of the 11th inning during Wednesday's victory, closer Bobby Jenks was approached by pitching Don Cooper to see how he was feeling. Jenks simply pointed back out to the field.

"I didn't give him an answer," Jenks said. "I was going back out there. That was my game at that point."

Jenks worked 1 1/3 innings but only threw 13 pitches, making it possible for him to go out for another inning. But Jenks is a more durable sort of closer, far from being limited to one inning and done. The right-hander pitched at least two innings on 10 separate occasions in 2005, including twice in the postseason. He worked as much as three innings against the Twins and the Angels.

Serving most of his Minor League career as a starter gives Jenks that extra reserve if needed. And pitching two or three innings doesn't preclude Jenks from pitching the following day, especially with a pitch count as low as 13.

"Not at all. That's what Advil is for," said Jenks with a laugh. "I'm very fresh."

Defensive intangibles: Lost in the shuffle of Pablo Ozuna's heroics Wednesday night was Brian Anderson's incredible diving catch on Kenji Johjima's line drive in the left-center gap with one out in the top of the ninth. Willie Bloomquist followed with a double, which would have provided Seattle an essential insurance run, if not for Anderson's effort.

The rookie center fielder did not start Wednesday's game, nor did he start on Thursday. It would seem to be easier for Anderson to strictly come in and focus on defense, not having the time to give much thought to his offensive woes. But Anderson said the defensive replacement situation plays out completely the opposite.

"If you are starting the game in the outfield, it's easy," Anderson said. "One of the toughest adjustments I ever had to make was that Ozzie [Guillen] is so big about being ready to play. When I had the day off in the Minors, you had the day off or if someone got hurt, you went in.

"But you have to be ready to play basically from the fifth inning on, because you never know with Ozzie," Anderson added.

Anderson's indoctrination to Guillen's methods came in 2005, during his brief callup to the Majors.

"He would tell me to go to left field, and I would think, 'But I don't play left,'" said Anderson with a laugh. "Now, I'm used to it."
Source

Very interesting article on Thome quoting on Jacobs Field. I think its a very hostile enviroment for the opposing team.