Link

Eighteen wins pulls a lot of weight these days.

In the laid-back, "Dude, Where's My Car?'' world of White Sox pitcher Jon Garland, however, coming off an 18-win season is no different than the previous three underachieving 12-win seasons posted by the right-hander from Southern California.

So with his 2006 season officially center stage tonight in Kansas City, Garland's approach is business as usual.

"I definitely know that I can do it again,'' Garland said. "I don't think it was a fluke by any means. I'm sure there are a lot of people that do, but those people have their opinions.''

While it's basically the same rhetoric coming from Garland since he became a full-time starter for the Sox in 2002, people actually take notice of the lanky 26-year-old now. Not just because he had a breakout 18-10 season and made his first All-Star appearance in 2005, but because of what he did in the postseason, when all eyes were on him.

Of the four starters the Sox used in their run to a World Series title, Garland was the one most expected to be that falling house of cards. It wasn't just coincidence that manager Ozzie Guillen made him the No. 4 starter in the playoff rotation and didn't use him until Game 3 of the American League Championship Series against the Los Angeles Angels.

His response?

Garland threw a dominant two-run complete game, allowing only four hits and striking out seven.

In Game 3 of the World Series against the Houston Astros, he went seven innings, allowing four runs (two earned) on seven hits in a no-decision.

It was those outings on such a big stage that have his teammates feeling completely comfortable with what Garland is capable of doing this season.

"Garland is going to be fine,'' catcher A.J. Pierzynski said. "He has confidence. He knows what he did last year. He believes that what he did last year was right.

"We're not worried about Gar. As long as he's healthy, we believe he's going to be fine, and as long as all these other guys stay healthy, we'll be fine. We have a deep rotation, but we need all five of them to stay healthy.''

Guillen and pitching coach Don Cooper took some flak the last few days about the pitching order to begin this season, namely Freddy Garcia pitching in Game 2 against Cleveland rather than Garland. But there was a method in their madness.

Mark Buehrle got the opener because, well, he's Mark Buehrle. Garcia was 2-0 with a 2.63 ERA against the Indians last season, besides being 5-3 in day games. Wednesday starter Jose Contreras was a career 2-0 with a 1.83 ERA against Cleveland.

Why go with Garland tonight in Kansas City then? Not only did he go 1-0 with a 1.17 ERA against the Royals in '05, but he has a career 11-4 record against them with a 3.97 ERA. It also puts him in position to make his second start against the Detroit Tigers, against whom he went 3-0 last season with a stingy 1.10 ERA.

Just don't remind him of any of that.

"I just want to go out there and continue to do what I did last year, pitch a good ballgame and give my team the best chance to win,'' Garland said. "Hopefully the bats will come to life and we take off.

"[Kansas City is] a good team. You can't count any team out. On any given day, any team can win. That's the thing about this league -- you've got to be prepared, go out and play good baseball.''

And don't ask Garland about personal goals or projected numbers for this year because the standard response has always been, "If they're personal, that means I keep them to myself.''

Can he win 18 games or more this season? That remains to be seen. His confidence, however, has not wavered.

"Even before last year, every time I go out there on the mound and pitch and do a good job for my team, I build confidence,'' Garland said. "Regardless of just one season.''
Thoughts White Sox fans?