Thread: Lee expects deal by OD

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Lee expects deal by OD

MESA, Ariz. -- With 10 days left before the Cubs open their season at Cincinnati, first baseman Derrek Lee expressed optimism Thursday about reaching a contract extension before that time.
    "I haven't heard a number, so I don't know,'' he replied when asked if there was a major money gap. "But I don't think so. From the talks we've had, it sounds like we are on the same page. We're going to work to get something done.''
    Lee reiterated he didn't want negotiations to spill into the season unless the sides were wrapping up final details.
    "It depends on where you are at,'' he said. "If it's close and tying up loose ends, maybe we do that. But I don't want to be hearing from my agent every day, saying this is what's going on. I'd rather focus on the season. That's why I say I'd like to get it done in the spring.''
    The five-year, $60 million contract signed by White Sox first baseman Paul Konerko in the offseason could affect whatever is decided by Lee's agent, Casey Close, and Cubs general manager Jim Hendry. Lee could be a free agent after this season, but the Cubs aren't expected to let that happen.
    Hendry agreed with Lee and said it remains possible an extension can be brokered by April 3. It's heard often around Cubs camp that many people don't expect Lee to match last year's batting average of .335, which led the National League. Lee's response to that: "Why not?''
    http://www.suntimes.com/output/cubs/cst-spt-cub24.html

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I think Lee is going to make big money considering what he did on the field last season. He had one heck of a season for sure.

Do you guys think he has a shot at returning to those kinds of numbers?

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA
    numbers like 2005? no. But if he puts up numbers above Konerko, i will be more than satisfied. I dont see any reason why he cant hit .290-.305 and drive in 120 and hit 40 something homers. the RBI should come now that they actually have guys who can get on base, unlike the Neifi/Corey fiasco.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Definitely. Guys like Pierre are going to help his RBI total tremendously. I remember people talking about a potential of him getting the triple crown last year. With his RBI likely going up, he may even have a greater chance at that this year. What do you think?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    His plate discipline grew and he fixed his awkward swing(Richard Sexson, take notes), so if he keeps those facets intact, the man is going to be a perrenial allstar. Too bad he has Pujols and Helton in the N.L.

BTW, he's going to over dose to get a new deal?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    HaHa, I would hope you know what OD means in baseball talk. But ok yeah, he may OD on hapiness once he signs his new deal.

AAA ERA
    Does anybody know what happened with Lee and his family. I heard he was out of a spring training game because of family emergency or something. JW what happend.

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by griffeyfan3
    Does anybody know what happened with Lee and his family. I heard he was out of a spring training game because of family emergency or something. JW what happend.
    his grandfather is seriously ill.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

MLB ERA
    He will get that deal, and I see just over 35 HR, 115 RBI, and a very good BA from .305-.320. Last year was breakout for him, he could either drop significantly to old Derek or stay up here at his prime.