Thread: Rumor: Walker for Matos?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Rumor: Walker for Matos?

If you’re a Walker fan, be wary of trade talks involving Walker and Baltimore Orioles outfielder Luis Matos. The Cubs like Matos and see him as a possible fourth outfielder. He hit .280 last year with an OBP of .340 (his lifetime OBP is .316) with 4 homers and 17 stolen bases. The Orioles aren’t the easiest trading partners with whom to deal, so this trade may not happen. It says here the Cubs will be better off if it doesn’t.
    http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/be...iles&id=169149
    Man, do the Cubs really need another outfielder? I think this just simply can't happen and would be bad for the Cubs even without the outfield surplus. What do you guys think?

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA
    i'm in the better that if it doesnt happen. we have problems that this doesnt solve. yes, we have too many infielders, and no we dont have enough good depth in our outfield, but matos isnt the answer, not for walker.

walker may have a lead glove, but is he worth matos? nope. I'm not in love with walker, but I dont want to trade him just for the sake of trading him.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Hmmm..

I thought you guys had plenty of outfielders with the addittion of Pierre and Jones. You guys still have Mabry and Murton?

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA
    i wouldnt exactly qualify mabry as good. besides, he is like every position on the field. and grissom is like 80 years old (he's a possible reserve).

I like jones and pierre enough, and i really do like murton, but he is a youngster and who knows how he will handle being given the reins, though he has had a promising spring. We have some good kids (Dopirak, Harvey, Pie, etc.) in the minors, but they still have some seasoning to go before they are ready for the bigs.

I guess I should have said good depth now. they have the depth, but its just not ML ready. The cubs have starting pitching issues that need resolving before doing something like this.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Ok I hear you. Well I agree anyway that this is not a good trade for the Cubs if it goes down. Walker could command a little more and he just really wants to remain a Cub.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    This trade makes no sense to me. Mabry is a valuable asset to have though Matos may be a beter OFer. Why the O's are going to let Patterson be the full time CFer is mind blowing.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I really don't think this will happen as we can make since on how much it does not make since, I am sure that the Cubs and O's can see it the same way. I have no clue why this would happen.

AA ERA
    So I'm so far behind on the Cubs . No idea what's going down. However Creighton basketball is over and I'm starting to feel baseball tug at my heart.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Welcome back awefull! We missed you around here bro.

I believe this rumor has been dashed, I saw something about it on Rotoworld. As said, it doesn't make sense. The Cubs really don't need another OF and the Orioles really don't need another IF.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Thanks Fish, I didn't make much sense anyhow. I guess we could get over this one.