Thread: Trade might be good for Cubs and Wood

MLB ERA

Trade might be good for Cubs and Wood

Those were boos in the Friendly Confines, fumes of anger directed at Kerry Wood as he allowed a leadoff home run, hit the next batter, walked the next batter, walked the batter after that and committed a throwing error during a four-run first inning. It was such a telling moment, especially for a noontime crowd only minimally intoxicated on a sunny day, that a dramatic and once-preposterous notion occurred to me.

The Pitcher Formerly Known as Kid K might benefit from a change of scenery.

For his sake and theirs, the Cubs should explore trading him, later if not sooner.

It seems clear, almost 10 years after he was drafted as a Texas phenom, that Wood's head is too cluttered with Cubdom's exhaust for him to ever reach his full potential in Wrigleyville. If the health of his right arm always will be an issue, his current problems are more a function of his mind and mechanics. He says his recent shoulder and back troubles aren't causing him discomfort, so there must be a reason why he has no idea where the ball is going after he releases it, which is the same problem he had last year and has battled periodically throughout his maddeningly erratic career.

Considering he's going on 28 and is seven years removed from his 20K masterpiece, it's fair to conclude that Wood has become a head case weary of constant media and fan scrutiny. He claims he blocks out negative feedback, saying of the boos, "I didn't hear it.'' Believe me, he hears everything. Last month, in the harshest criticism yet of his delivery and mechanics, radio analyst Steve Stone called out Wood as a stubborn flamethrower who never learned the art of pitching. Said The Evil Stoney, who won a Cy Young Award back in the day: "Wood has shown no adaptability. You can take all the money you've made -- which is a bundle -- and you can go sell cars, or you can make some adjustments and try to stay around this league for 10 years.''

It was a challenge that placed Wood at a career crossroads. Now making almost $11 million a season, would he respond by proving Stone wrong with consistency, control and a win total higher than his career-best 14 of two years ago? Or would he fold under the heat? So far, he has collapsed, following his all-over-the-map outing Friday with an abysmal showing Wednesday. All you need to know is Wood, with the wind blowing in at 16 mph, allowed three homers to the Padres in an 8-3 loss. He left in the seventh after yielding six earned runs, nine hits and two walks while hitting a batter. In his last start, only 52 of his 104 pitches were strikes. This time, 71 of 112 pitches were strikes. He already has thrown 216 pitches and has an ugly 5.84 ERA and 0-1 record to show for it. After Stone's rebuke, Wood responded flippantly, saying the commentary was "a waste of time, a waste of breath and a waste of ink'' while telling his critics as a whole, "Write me letters. Teach me how to pitch.''

It's time to produce

Be careful what you wish for. With advice surely pouring in, perhaps Wood should start reading it. Nearing his baseball midlife while taking up a big chunk of the payroll, Wood has to produce as a reliable power pitcher. Having written that the last three or four years, of course, I realize it's a hollow plea. So if he's not worth megabucks in a contract that extends through the 2007 season, I would have no problem trading him during this calendar year and loosening up money for other needs next offseason.

His latest washout came on the same day when Mark Prior, in the second game of a doubleheader, looked sharp and healthy in beating the Padres in his '05 debut. Wood and Prior aren't a tandem of terror and torque anymore as much as two Russian Roulette players, separately trying to survive each start without blowing out an arm. They were supposed to be "Lights'' and "Out,'' baseball's most imposing powerball combination, the Johnson and Schilling of whatever we're calling their generation. But on this afternoon, we were reminded of the realities of their MRI Tour.

Chances are, given the traditional odds of Cubdom, one pitcher will overcome his injury miseries to have a prosperous career and the other will not. At 24, Prior appears to have a wider window of opportunity despite his nagging trail of elbow and Achilles' tendon woes. You never can tell whose wing will hurt next, knowing Wood has fought arm injuries his entire career and Prior has the last two years. Prior's mechanics have been honed since he was 13; Wood, meanwhile, was abused as a high-school pitcher, recalling the day he started both ends of a doubleheader after the Cubs drafted him. There is an element of sadness to what's happening with Wood, that he can't get over the emotional and physical hump of pitching life. But big-league baseball is a business. If the stress of Cubdom is bothering him, another town may suit him better.

Not much bang for Cubs' bucks

"When you give up five [runs] over two [innings], you're not giving your team much of a chance,'' said Wood, speaking softly between games. "I was surprised to see the balls leaving the park today. Once I gave up five over two, my job became keeping me in the game and saving the bullpen for Game 2.''

Hours later, Prior's mood was much more upbeat after allowing only four hits and a walk in six shutout innings. "I was happy with the command I had on my fastball,'' he said. "I'm not exactly where I want to be, but things are coming. The mechanics are really consistent. For the most part, I feel good. It's good to get it out of the way.''

Because general managers laugh at universe-altering trade suggestions, be certain Jim Hendry won't take any Trade Woody talk seriously. His butt is on the line, as well, for giving Wood a three-year, $32.5 million extension before last season. But eventually, if the results don't improve radically, the front office will feel pressure to move him. I realize Greg Maddux isn't getting younger and Matt Clement no longer is here. But no team is wise to keep an overpriced athlete, especially when that team hasn't won a World Series in 97 years and that particular athlete lost Game 7 to the Florida Marlins two Octobers ago. Granted, Wood was classy as could be in accepting blame for the series collapse when, in truth, the choke job was well in progress the evening before. But that was a long time ago. And he has been around a long time, too. Last I looked, the Cubs didn't hesitate to trade Sammy Sosa. Why not Wood?

It's time to win 20 games. It's time to combine with Prior to make 70 starts. It's time to develop the year-to-year dominance that has defined elite power pitchers: Clemens, Johnson, Ryan. If Kerry Wood can't do it at Clark and Addison, let him try elsewhere.

Seen any "We Got Wood'' T-shirts lately? Me, neither. The most patient place on this sporting earth, Cubdom, has no patience left.http://www.suntimes.com/output/mario...spt-jay14.html
    Tennessee Titans. Duke athletics. New York Yankees. Carolina Hurricanes. Portland Trailblazers.

Milwaukee Brewers MSL GM

MLB ERA
    Good article, but Mariotti's still bringin' up the rear!!!
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

I hate Mariotti, but I think the idea of shopping Wood is good, to see what we can get to help this team. He's not adapting, like Stoney said, he's not pitching (but throwing). He needs to work on his mechanics, work on how to get hitters out with 2 or 3 pitches, work on not to rely on strike outs.

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA
    you CANT SHOP WOOD!!! he has a NOTRADE CLAUSE in his contract. so you cant shop him.

AA ERA
    Yea you can. You ask who is interrested and what they would give you. Just because he has a no trade clause doesn't mean he can't be traded or atleast talked about.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

Rookie ERA
    Trade his ass for Huff and Baez, enough said.

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by awefullspellare
    Yea you can. You ask who is interrested and what they would give you. Just because he has a no trade clause doesn't mean he can't be traded or atleast talked about.
    he has a full no trade clause. not a partial one. so they would have to have kerry change his contract and allow them to discuss a trade.

otherwise, he cant be shopped since it would be like me shopping for a BMW: moot since i cant afford a BMW

AA ERA
    Huh. Didn't realize there was even such thing. Lo siento.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle