Thread: Cbus to sign Howry for 3 yr, 12 mil, "close" on Pierre deal...

MLB ERA

Cbus to sign Howry for 3 yr, 12 mil, "close" on Pierre deal...

The Cubs and right-hander Bobby Howry have agreed to terms on a three-year, $12 million contract, pending a physical.

~Rotoworld

And it's been reported by WSCR 670 in Chicago that the Cubs are close to acquiring Juan Pierre for 3 prospects.

While I don't like the ammount of money that we've had to spend on Howry and Eyre, I realize it's a good move. Some people may complain that the money isn't being geared to Furcal or Giles or another sexy name, but these are smart moves in my mind. As for the Rusch and Nefi contracts... I can't say the same.

As for Juan Pierre, I'm mixed on this possible deal. I've read Pinto would be involved in the trade, which is fine by me- he hasn't shown he can even pitch above AA. But other names rumored to be involved are Jermaine Van Buren, Roberto Novoa, and Angel Guzman. I know Guzman's injury problems have been pretty problematic throughout his entire career, however he's finally shown he can stay healthy throughout this years winter ball. I'm just afraid if we trade someone with the talent he posses away to Florida, it'll be Dontrelle Willis all over again. And Pierre is as one-dimensional as it gets. Horrible arm, no power, etc... he slaps the ball and runs. However, I realize he fits the mold of a lead off hitter, and that is one of our biggest weaknesses.

I'll say this though: I hope if this trade for Pierre goes through, Hendry doesn't lay off on the chase for Furcal. I really don't want to have to see Nefi Perez or Alex Gonzalez's bats clogging up holes in the lineup...

So if the Cubs add all the RPs on the market, they're hoping one of them can be good?
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA
    well, they will be better than last year.

yah, we overpaid for both howry and eyre, but its free agency and someone would have paid them. the only problem i have with the eyre signing is that third year. the money is alright, the years are a bit much, but oh well.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by General
    So if the Cubs add all the RPs on the market, they're hoping one of them can be good?

Part of picking relief pitching is getting lucky... it's like a gamble. However, would you rather gamble on a guy like Elmer Dessens, or two of the top relievers available?

The Cubs have rotten luck with middle relievers, period... but they needed to address their bullpen, plain and simple.

Heh, Braves have rotten luck with closers.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Eyre is a good guy to have and you can always dump Eyre's contract on that third year. He led the NL in appearances and is a good set up man to Dempster. Howry and Eyre provide a good bullpen which the Cubs really haven't had in a while. Rod Beck?