Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So whats going on you ask?

AA ERA

So whats going on you ask?

Not much. Cubs are limping along as usual. Wood was bad today, but Prior was good. Yesterday was rained out and Monday was close (well pitched) but the offense didn't step up. Coming up tomorrow we have one day off before a 3 game series in Pittsburgh. I can see us sweeping that one.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

The offense is still inconsistence. Baker needs to realize by puting the best players on the field, our winning percentage will be much greater. I am no sure is you guys are on the same page as I am, Neife Perez should not be on the roster, which means DO NOT START HIM. Jerry Hairston is the man to go at second. He gives us a legitimate lead off hitter, and he plays decent defense. PUT HIM IN THE LINE UP BAKER.
    As for Woody, change his pitching mechanics, attitude, or whatever that needs to be changes so he can pitch 7+ innings every time out without us fans worrying about his arm falling off.
    GREAT JOB Prior, did not think he was ready, but he proved me wrong.

AA ERA
    I agree that Hariston should get the nod over Nefi but supposedly today was a matchup dealio. Not 100% sure though as I haven't seen much since the end of the D-Backs series.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA
    monday and wednesday were matchup deals for why hairston sat and perez played. and you cant really argue that perez didnt belong in the lineup since he did go 6 for 9 in the doubleheader. I'd rather have perez than hairston start anyways.

Rookie ERA
    Alright, I was at the double header, and to sum things up... I still feel that trade with Baltimore is gonna kick us right in the ass. Baker is a moron who makes on field moves based on an article the day before or what someone says to him in a news conference... AKA starting Neifi Perez everyday at second base. And i'd like to go ahead and thank Jim Hendry for... making a new team consisting of small ball even though we have all the same players. And the guy who is actually new is named Jeromy Burnitz. And all he does is strike out or hit a homerun, BUT THIS IS A NEW TEAM. My God, this is going to be a long ****ing year.

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA
    cmon now. no need to jump off the bridge now. and perez isnt going to start every day....

It seems like Perez is having career number against about every pitcher we are facing. Plus, Jerry Hairston Jr. is from another league, he has not faced this league's pitchers often. So by having good numbers/expereince against those ptichers, Perez of course will win.
    LOVE THEE NOTRE DAME!

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA
    if perez gives us the best chance to win, he should play. if he doesnt, he shouldnt. besides, hairston and perez can both play multiple positions, so its not that hard to get both playing time. besides, in 4 weeks hairston is going to be back on the bench where he belongs anyways when walker comes back.

Rookie ERA
    Hairston doesn't belong on the bench, I felt he should have been starting in left from the get go. If not him, Dubois, Hollandsworth is nothing more than a good pinch hitter. He was solid filling in for Sosa last season but I don't see having 1 good month as enough of a reason for him to be a starter.

And by no means am I jumping off the Cubs bandwagon or bridge. I just question some of the decisions Baker has been making.

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA
    what benefit does hairston provide starting every day? hes never proven anything. i mean, hell he lost his starting job last year.

I'd rather Dubois be starting than hollandsworth and hairston, but id rather hollandsworth than hairston.

Rookie ERA
    Uh, what does Hairston bring? He's an EXCELLENT lead-off man. Something Patterson is not, Patterson is mediocre at best as a lead off man. Patterson would be much more productive as a run producer, not a guy who gets on and scores, that's not him. Hairston didn't lose his starting job last year, he was the starting left fielder, DING DING DING. And he got hurt on a freak accident and was out for the season. Last year at the midway point, he was hitting .303/.378 obp/13 sb's/only 29 k's/and 43 runs. And using your logic, Patterson isn't worthy of being a leadoff hitter, because he's only had 1/2 of a productive season.

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA
    he is NOT an excellent lead off man. last year he had a decent OBP in limited time. In the past 3 years, hes had 122 games played, 58 games, and 86 games played. He has zero power, he only hits for decent average, and really doesnt walk all that much. so, he doesnt strike out that much. big whoop de doo.

the one season he actually played a full year? he hit .233 with a .305 OBP. not very good. his Career OPS is 88. which happens to be the exact same as corey patterson's. so how is hairston better than patterson? dont make hairston out to be this great leadoff hitter, when in fact he isnt.

oh, and as for hairston being the starting left fielder, thats a fallacy, since he played 27 games at RF, 12 at 2b, 21 at DH, 15 at CF, 10 at LF and 1 at 3b. he was a utility player at best.

Rookie ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by rockin500
    he is NOT an excellent lead off man. last year he had a decent OBP in limited time. In the past 3 years, hes had 122 games played, 58 games, and 86 games played. He has zero power, he only hits for decent average, and really doesnt walk all that much. so, he doesnt strike out that much. big whoop de doo.
    Limited time? About the exact amount of time that Patterson had his career best numbers. And you want power from your leadoff guy? and @ "whoop de doo" about strike outs. That's the LAST thing you want your leadoff man to do. Patterson is not a good leadoff man, plain and simple. As an all-round player? I believe he's a 5 tool player, he's just better suited for the three hole. In no way am I dissing Patterson, I'm looking at our overall lineup with who hitting where.

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA
    hes actually probably better at the #2 hole right now.

Rookie ERA
    Well notice the 3 games Hairston has led off. We've scored 6-7 runs each game. Something has to be right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast