Thread: Baker possibly wants to stay past '06.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Baker possibly wants to stay past '06.

Inside the Cubs

Baker 'possibly' to stay beyond '06

Thursday, August 25, 2005

By Jeff Vorva
    Staff writer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    It's been reported that Dusty Baker can't wait to get out of town.
    Media speculation nationwide has the Cubs manager heading everywhere from Washington to Los Angeles.

However, Baker, who's in the third year of a four-year, $14 million deal, has insisted all along he will be back with the Cubs in 2006. General manager Jim Hendry has confirmed several times that he wants Baker to return.

Baker, in fact, has gone one step further, dropping hints that he may want to manage the Cubs beyond this contract. When asked Wednesday if he would consider ending his career in a Cubs uniform, Baker kept the door open.

"Possibly," he said. "It depends on if we achieve our goal or not. That's (finishing my career) a long time off to me. I still look at managing another six or seven years. Until that time, there are some things I need and want to accomplish."

Unnamed "friends" of Baker have told various newspapers across the country that Baker is not happy in Chicago and is growing weary of the criticism heaped on him these last two seasons after leading the Cubs to the National League Championship Series in 2003. The Cubs faded from the playoff picture in the final week of the 2004 campaign, and this year are 61-66 after Wednesday's 3-1 loss to Atlanta.

Wednesday, Baker sounded like someone not bothered by the criticism.

"It's no secret there are some people who don't want me here," Baker said. "And there are some firedusty.com (Web sites) ... that's a pretty good indicator, don't you think?

"I don't really care. I wouldn't leave because of that."

Baker added that this is a tough climate in which to manage.

"You don't hear other top managers basically hearing that too much. Right?" he said.

When told that New York Yankees manager Joe Torre and St. Louis Cardinals skipper Tony La Russa also have had people on various Web sites clamoring for their removal, Baker seemed surprised. He was especially caught off guard when learning La Russa has received rough treatment.

"When? Has he? He's still there." Baker said. "And I'm still here. I plan on being here."

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southt...pro/251sd5.htm

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    What would you guys want to see here? You guys want to keep Baker around?

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA
    he's a good manager. better than anyone else we've had for awhile.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

AA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by rockin500
    he's a good manager. better than anyone else we've had for awhile.
    Yea I agree. He's doing a pretty good job. It's been a tough year for us with some wierd injuries and just some wierd stuff in general. Not sure who we are going to get that is much better than him if we let him go.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Good to know. I think Baker gets a lot of hate in the pitchers getting over worked area. But I am not sure that is the case. Its just pitchers like Wood have had a history of injuries and Prior is having them all the time as well. Maddux, hate to say it, may be getting old. So that dominant pitching staff on paper may not be as dominant as you would want. But that can't be blamed on Baker. I would keep him too.

AA ERA
    Wood does have the history, and Prior's has been freak stuff, not bad mechanics and overuse.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle