Thread: Will Maddux get his option, will he return?

AA ERA

Will Maddux get his option, will he return?

Quote Originally Posted by cbs.sportsline.com
    RHP Greg Maddux is 23 2/3 innings away from a $9 million jackpot. That's all he needed in order for a vesting option to kick in for the 2006 season.

But now there is talk that the 39-year-old right-hander might be mulling retirement.

If he's thinking about it, it likely won't come until after next season.

"I want to finish out strong and I want to come back and play next year as long as I feel I can play this game," he said.

After beating Houston 4-1 Tuesday, Maddux had the team lead in victories (10) and innings pitched (163 2/3). He moved into 16th on baseball's all-time win list with 315, passing Gaylord Perry.

"If you're good enough to play, you play," Maddux said. "If you're not, you quit. It's that simple.

"If I'm deserving enough to come back and play and wear a shirt with my name on the back, then believe me, I want to. I love the game."

He's becoming a bit inconsistent, but he is still solid. I would like to see him back, although 9 million is a bit steep. He should make that mark though so we may be stuck with that.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA
    he'll get the option as that will kick in regardless unless he gets hurt. whether he chooses to return or not, is another story. i think he still has some stuff left in the tank, as evidenced by his last two performances. He'd still be a valuable weapon next year, even as a #4/5 starter.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    yea, he'll still have value, but $9 million seems a bit much for a 4th or 5th starter...but the Cubs do have the 8th highest payroll at $87,210,933, so they may not care

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I agree $9 million is way too much for Maddux. But with the Cubs payroll, if they can't do better with that 9 mill, then keep him for sure. But somehow I think they could get a better arm for that price.

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA
    he's already been in the budget. remember, the cubs had a 104 million dollar payroll this year. officially, its only 87, but that 87 doesnt include the 17 million dollar lump sum they owed sammy for this year. So if they go back up to 100 million for next year, he wont really be a detriment to the team's payroll.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1