Thread: Murton certainly has Cubs' attention

AA ERA

Murton certainly has Cubs' attention

Murton certainly has Cubs' attention
    August 17, 2005

BY CHRIS DE LUCA Staff Reporter

HOUSTON -- In a corner of the Cubs' clubhouse Tuesday, outfielder Matt Murton and pitcher Greg Maddux pulled two chairs together and began a long chat. The Cub who has the least major-league service time was talking baseball with the Cub who has the most.

Murton is trying to help the Cubs during a playoff chase and get in some solid on-the-job training. In Maddux, he has picked the perfect tutor.

''It has been huge. He has been great to me,'' Murton said, referring to Maddux. ''For a guy who has that much knowledge of the game and is respected by a lot of people, it has been awesome to have somebody like that to talk to. We sit on the bench, and he talks about what to do with different pitchers and what they try to do to hitters.''

Murton, 23, appeared in his 25th major-league game Tuesday, starting in left field with Houston Astros left-hander Andy Pettitte on the mound. Murton is hitting .339 and hit his first big-league home run Monday.

With infielder/outfielder Jerry Hairston Jr. coming off the disabled list Friday, Murton, who was promoted from Class AA West Tenn on July 7, might be returned to the minors if the Cubs decide to keep 12 pitchers. If Murton is sent out, he will be recalled when rosters expand Sept. 1.

Because veterans Matt Lawton and Jeromy Burnitz are not expected back in 2006, the Cubs will have some openings in their outfield. Murton has shown he deserves a long look for next season.

He's done a fantastic job so far thsi year. He wasn't completely ready for the majors yet, but he has done an adequate job. I hope he gets a chance going into next year. We could see a radically different outfield.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

Not that the Sox need Murton, but it seems, for the Cubs, he's been more valuable than Nomar. You're welcome!
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA
    yah, i like the murton part of the deal and was the maker of that deal last year. he'll probably be sent down when hairston comes back, but he should return in ten days or so when the rosters expand.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1