Thread: Series Thread - Cubs at Rockies

AA ERA

Series Thread - Cubs at Rockies

So this series runs Friday through Sunday. We need to sweep them.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

AA ERA
    A three-game series against the team with the worst record in the National League could be what the doctor ordered for the Cubs when they visit Colorado starting Friday.

But the erratic way the Cubs have been playing lately, they can't take anything for granted.

The Cubs are not eliminated from the wild card race, but it would take a huge effort on their part to win and for all of the five teams ahead of them to fade.

The team could have done itself a huge favor by winning a three-game home series against a team fighting to stay out of the National League Central cellar -- Cincinnati on Aug. 8-10. But the Reds swept the Cubs to pad and eight-game Chicago losing streak.

Still, the Cubs were able to come back and win three out of four against powerhouse St. Louis and two out of three against Houston.

The Cubs have an off day on Thursday and manager Dusty Baker appreciates it before his pitchers head into the hitter's haven Coors Field.

"I always like to have an off day before Coors Field or after Coors Field," Baker said. "You might win the battle there but there is a chance you will lose the war by using all your pitchers.

"That last day (Sunday) will be important. You don't want to use a lot of pitchers and come home the next day to play the Braves. You don't want to come home with a tired bullpen."

Copyright (C) 2005 The Sports Xchange. All Rights Reserved.

This should be good for us. We can sweep them! I expect disapointment though .
    I aim to try

AA ERA
    Prior engagement: Righty against Rox
    Chicago (59-62) at Colorado (45-75), 4:05 p.m. CT

By Carrie Muskat / MLB.com

It's time to head to the mountains.
    The Chicago Cubs open a three-game series in Colorado on Friday, sending Mark Prior to the mound against the Rockies' Byung-Hyun Kim.

This will be Prior's first game against Colorado since he was struck on the right elbow by Brad Hawpe's line drive on May 27. Prior had gone 3 1/3 innings, and given up one run on two hits, before being felled by the hit. He missed one month, and is 4-3 with a 4.43 ERA in 10 starts since.

The Cubs are expected to make a roster move prior to the start of the series. Jerry Hairston Jr., who has been sidelined with a torn ligament in his left elbow, was expected to rejoin the big-league team after his Minor League rehab assignment.

Some of the players planned to go fishing on Thursday's off-day while Cubs manager Dusty Baker was looking forward to relaxing. The Cubs are playing 34 games in 35 days.

"I'm going to get a massage and chillin'," Baker said.

The Cubs 14-10 against National League West teams, including a 3-1 mark against the Rockies.

Pitching matchup
    COL: RHP Byung-Hyun Kim

• 3-9, 5.33 ERA in 2005
    • 0-1, 9.00 ERA vs. CHC in 2005

CHC: RHP Mark Prior
    • 8-4, 3.70 ERA in 2005
    • 0-0, 2.70 ERA vs. COL in 2005

Player to watch
    Let's see how many home runs Derrek Lee can hit in the rarefied air in Colorado. Lee is 7-for-18 against Kim, including two home runs this year. He's a career .349 hitter at Coors Field with three home runs.

Quotable
    "For whatever freakish reason, some things that had been nagging me went away. I don't know if it was the time off or whatever. I've been feeling pretty good." -- Prior, on the time off after being hit

Quick hits
    Michael Barrett is 1-for-7 against Kim, Henry Blanco is 1-for-5, Jeromy Burnitz is 2-for-7, Matt Lawton is 3-for-8, Neifi Perez is 3-for-12, Aramis Ramirez is 2-for-10 and Todd Walker is 2-for-9. ... Lawton is 2-for-17 lifetime at Coors Field. ... Jerome Williams (3-6, 5.13 ERA) will return to the rotation on Tuesday against Atlanta. ... Mark your calendars: the Aug. 27 game against Florida at Wrigley Field will start at 12:25 p.m. CT and be broadcast on FOX.
    I aim to try