Thread: Series Thread - Cubs vs. Cardinals

AA ERA

Series Thread - Cubs vs. Cardinals

Wow. Great 2 games so far. 11-4 CG by Maddux then 4-1 today. Z was great and Wood did good.

We really need to finish this off with atleast 1 of these next 2. This is almost the end of the hope for us after that 8 game skid.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

AA ERA
    Bad-back Zambrano keeps Cubs in right direction
    Aug. 12, 2005

CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

CHICAGO -- Carlos Zambrano's back began to tighten up again. This time he stayed around long enough to get the win.

Zambrano allowed six hits over six shutout innings Friday to lead the Chicago Cubs to their second straight victory over the St. Louis Cardinals, 4-1.

"The third inning it started to bother me. I went as far as I could," Zambrano said.

Zambrano (9-5), who had to leave his previous start against the Mets after three innings with a stiff back, was visited on the mound by Dusty Baker and a trainer after he retired Abraham Nunez on a fly ball in the sixth.

Albert Pujols followed with a double and Zambrano walked Jim Edmonds before fanning John Rodriguez and getting Mark Grudzielanek on a fly to right-center to end the inning.

That was it for Zambrano, who didn't return for the seventh against a team he has pitched well against all season. He's allowed St. Louis just two earned runs in 23 2/3 innings over three starts.

Teammates Neifi Perez and Aramis Ramirez told Baker that Zambrano was hurting.

Well I'm glad he got out of there without anything serious. He pitched great for a hurt back!
    I aim to try

AA ERA
    Tonight wasn't so great. Williams had an interesting day. 6 IP, 3 ER, but only 4 H, but 4 BB. Had 7 K's too. Really just made one big mistake giving up a 2 R shot to Pujols. Offense got 8 hits, but only 2 R. Both on a Aramis HR. 5 guys with 1 hit (mostly top of the order guys) and Burnitz with 3! Bullpen did ok. Williamson got rocked while Ohman, Wuertz and Kronka did good.
    I aim to try