Thread: Hendry says Baker's job safe for rest of season

AA ERA

Hendry says Baker's job safe for rest of season

Hendry says Baker's job safe for rest of season
    By Paul Sullivan

Tribune staff reporter
    August 5, 2005, 10:47 PM CDT

NEW YORK -- Manager Dusty Baker is in no danger of losing his job this season, general manager Jim Hendry said before Friday night's 9-5 loss to the Mets.

"I hired Dusty and I felt strongly we had the right guy," Hendry said. "I'm confident we have the right guy. He's certainly in good standing with me. I certainly believe him when he tells me there's absolutely nothing to any of the Dodger story that went out.

"I was in his office [Sunday] and he was calling [Los Angeles manager] Jim Tracy. He wasn't happy about the rumor, and I think it's unfair to the club, and to him, that these things are being run rampant when he has made no overtures to wanting out. … We have a very up-front, honest relationship.

"We're not playing as well as we all would have hoped, but that's certainly not a reflection of his standing with me."

Will the Cubs offer Baker an extension after this season? He's signed through 2006 on a four-year, $15 million deal.

"It's a four-year deal," Hendry said. "And it's not time to discuss it."

I still trust Dusty. He has done good thing with the team. I'm not ready to give up on him yet.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA
    of course his job is safe. would the cubs want to spend 4 million dollars on having him fish?
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1