Cubs give Remlinger walking papers
By Paul Sullivan

Tribune staff reporter
August 5, 2005, 11:28 PM CDT

NEW YORK -- Mike Remlinger was designated for assignment Friday, ending a three-year stay marred by injuries and inconsistency.

Remlinger, who signed a three-year, $10.65 million deal after the 2002 season, said he wasn't surprised because the Cubs had to make two moves to bring Kerry Wood and Scott Williamson off the disabled list. In three seasons in Chicago, Remlinger was 7-10 with a 3.89 ERA, but his 4.91 ERA this year made him expendable.

"I knew there was at least one decision that was not a real simple one," he said. "You've been around the game long enough, you get feelings about what's going on, what direction you or the team is going in.

"I told Dusty [Baker] and Larry [Rothschild], I'd have liked to have stayed here to help this team, and I think I could help them in the playoffs. … That said, I can do the same thing where I wind up."

The Cubs have 10 days to trade Remlinger, after which he can sign with any team. Because any team that trades for him will pick up the remaining $1.4 million on his 2005 salary, it's likely they will wait until he's released. Remlinger said his choices would be Atlanta, Arizona, San Diego, Boston or the New York Yankees.

Well it was a good move. He wasn't preforming like he should.