Thread: Nomar likely to start Friday

AA ERA

Nomar likely to start Friday

Nomar likely to start Friday
    August 4, 2005

PHILADELPHIA -- Manager Dusty Baker said Wednesday that shortstop Nomar Garciaparra probably will be in the starting lineup Friday night when the Cubs face the New York Mets at Shea Stadium. Garciaparra has been sidelined since tearing a groin muscle April 20 in St. Louis as he ran out of the batter's box.

Garciaparra, who finished his rehab assignment Wednesday afternoon by going 1-for-3 for Class AA West Tenn, was scheduled to arrive in Philadelphia late Wednesday and join the team for this afternoon's series finale against the Phillies.

''I have to talk to him when he gets here,'' Baker said. ''The greatest area of concern would probably be the day game Saturday in New York after the Friday night game. That's a big turnaround until he gets his legs under him.''

So Baker plans to start Garciaparra on Friday and Sunday and give Neifi Perez the start at shortstop Saturday afternoon.

''He [Garciaparra] played six innings [Wednesday], and he's played a couple nine-inning games,'' Baker said.

Baker is prepared to use Perez as a substitute in the closing innings if Garciaparra needs to break in gradually. The question is what kind of player the Cubs will be getting back -- the former batting champion or someone who will require weeks to find his usual form.

''You won't know until he gets here,'' Baker said. ''He might just come in like he hasn't lost anything.''

Baker said Garciaparra probably will bat fifth or sixth depending on the matchup.

''If he is running good, it could be second,'' Baker said.

Mike Kiley

Well that's probably the best way to work it. I'd rather he didn't bat 2nd because I like what Harriston did, but it might work best.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

Nooooooooomaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Nice to see him finally back...that'll be like adding a bat with a trade for the Cubs. Unless he does worse than Neifi Perez, which isn't too likely.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

AA ERA
    Two straight years acquiring Nomar at the deadline .
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by browntown653
    Nice to see him finally back...that'll be like adding a bat with a trade for the Cubs. Unless he does worse than Neifi Perez, which isn't too likely.
    Though he was playing worse than Neifi at the beginning of the season.
    I hope he returns to a good Nomar. We definitely need his bat, and hopefully he will be clutch, unlike all other Cub hitters, driving in 0 run with bases loaded no outs.
    LOVE THEE NOTRE DAME!