Thread: Maddux + Wood = Win?

AA ERA

Maddux + Wood = Win?

View from a Cubs Fan
    California's Jarrod Harden has a thought on how to keep Kerry Wood healthy in the bullpen.

By Jarrod Harden
    View from a Fan
    August 4, 2005, 11:16 AM CDT

With Kerry Wood moving to the bullpen the Cubs must be careful to keep him healthy in his new role. Rather than using him in the traditional role of a reliever, I offer a modest proposal of how to best use Wood.

Have Wood pitch every fifth day behind Greg Maddux. Maddux will throw his 100 pitches in six or seven innings and Wood will finish off the game.

The contrast between the two will befuddle the opposing hitters. After seeing Maddux, Wood will be able to come in and blow batters away.

It would take one time through the lineup to adjust and by then the game is over.

On the day a starter would normally throw on the side, have Wood through his side in that day's game. He could pitch another one or two innings a week.

This would allow Wood to stay on a regular schedule as if he were a starting pitcher. The Cubs could also maximize what he can give them on the mound.

I don't think it would be the worst idea ever. Might work. Maddux won't go more then 6 and if Wood could finish games like that it would be sweet. Not a bad idea at all.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

With Wood and Williamson back (hopefully both will be effective), we won't have many late blown games in the bullpen. IDK if that's a good idea or not. Wood's should don't usually get hurt until the 3rd or 4th inning, so letting him finishing off the game might not be great. Plus, with him availabe 4 to 5 times a week for one inning sounds intimidating to batters. They thought that they are done with Prior, or Zambrano, but now here comes Kerry Wood.
    LOVE THEE NOTRE DAME!