Thread: Patterson back up by the end of next week?

AA ERA

Patterson back up by the end of next week?

Quote Originally Posted by cbs.sportsline.com
    --Some broadcasters speculate Corey Patterson will be back in a Cubs uniform in the next week.

But the fact is that if the demoted center fielder does not quickly take to his new compact swing, he may end up being a September call-up.

Patterson's had some growing pains in his first 18 games with Triple-A Iowa, hitting .214 with three homers and seven RBIS and a .276 on-base percentage.

"We haven't really talked about it," manager Dusty Baker said of Patterson's potential return. "He missed the first four or five days because of the All-Star break and a two or three others because of the flu. Theoretically, he's played a little bit over two weeks.

"We're getting reports on him every day. Some days he's better. Some days good. And some days not so good. He's a quick learner. I'm hoping that he is."

He's sucking in AAA, why make him suck in the majors? We have some fairly competent OFers in Lawton, Harriston, Burnitz, Murton, and Holly. I would rather see them stick in the majors over a still screwed up Patterson. I hope he doesn't start the rest of the year. Keep him working on the swing and make him earn the spot back.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by awefullspellare

He's sucking in AAA, why make him suck in the majors? We have some fairly competent OFers in Lawton, Harriston, Burnitz, Murton, and Holly. I would rather see them stick in the majors over a still screwed up Patterson. I hope he doesn't start the rest of the year. Keep him working on the swing and make him earn the spot back.
    Because our outfield defense stinks, and Hairston might be done for the season or for a while. I don't want a Holly(Murton, not sure about his defense), Burnitz, Lawton left to right respectively for the rest of the season. I can deal with his automatica outs in the 8th if that means better defense in center.
    LOVE THEE NOTRE DAME!

AA ERA
    If Harriston is done then yes he should get brought up. I suppose the defense is probably a decent reason too. I'm not sure I'd want him starting but perhaps a deffensive replacement/pinch runner/hitter.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle