Thread: Series Thread - Cubs at Mets

AA ERA

Series Thread - Cubs at Mets

Cubs are currently 5.5 back of Houston in the Wild Card.

What the Cubs should do if they want to win the Wild Card: Sweep. Houston has 3 at San Fran and they could very well sweep that. We have to keep up and if we could pick up a game that would help.

What the Cubs will do: Take 2 of 3. Cubs have favorable pitching matchups all 3 days (Hill vs. Glavine, Maddux vs. Ishi, Zombrano vs. Zombrano). All 3 of those games are winnable. We are coming in cold though and who knows how getting Kerry and Nomar and Williamson back will effect the team though, so I'm not gonna call a sweep.

Game 1: 7-6 Mets (Bullpen blows it).
    Game 2: 7-3 Cubs
    Game 3: 4-1 Cubs
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

Well, for Friday's game, We will have Wood and Williamson back to pitch in the bullpen.
    Hill's picture looks weird on cubs.com.
    LOVE THEE NOTRE DAME!

AA ERA
    Mets 9, Cubs 5
    Aug. 5, 2005

CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

NEW YORK -- The return of Nomar Garciaparra and Kerry Wood was supposed to inspire the Chicago Cubs to play better and help them make a run at the playoffs.

Instead, the Cubs made several mental errors in a six-run second inning and were beaten by the New York Mets 9-5 Friday night to fall under .500 for the first time in a month.

Mike Cameron and Cliff Floyd each had two-run hits in the second and the Mets had 14 hits -- all singles -- as they bounced back from two tough losses in a row by outclassing the Cubs in all areas.

Jose Reyes had three singles -- two infield hits -- stole two bases and scored twice. Carlos Beltran had three hits and stole his 200th career base, and Tom Glavine pitched eight serviceable innings.

In all, the Mets matched a season high with five stolen bases and every starter but David Wright had at least one hit. Wright walked three times.

"It was a good game for us to get back on the winning ways," Mets manager Willie Randolph said. "Hopefully we're going to turn the corner here, and get into a nice little run."

Despite the return of Garciaparra and Wood from injuries, the Cubs lost for the sixth time in eight games and dropped below .500 (54-55) for the first time since July 10, when they were 43-44. The Cubs and Mets came in tied, five games behind Houston for the wild-card lead.

Well this is no good. We are falling out of the Wild Card race. Good positive though that Wood and Williamson had succesful comeback starts, although Nomar didn't . Things will get better I think, although we could also screw things up more. Seo is now starting tomorrow for the Mets. We MUST win this game.
    I aim to try

AA ERA
    What's new in Cub land? Nothing. Maddux goes out and gives us a stellar preformance giving up only 2 runs, but twice we have two in scoring position I know for sure. Probably more. Offense has just blown today. Nothing at all across the plate. We got shut down by a guy who just got called up. Ehhh. This season is just getting closer and closer to being over each day. Nefi grounded out to 1B 4 times. Gosh this blows.
    I aim to try

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA
    0-20 for top 6 guys. all four hits by the Combo of Macias, Blanco and Maddux. actually we were in scoring position just twice for the entire game.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

AA ERA
    Mets' Seo tosses seven solid innings, blanks hapless Cubs
    Aug. 6, 2005

CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

NEW YORK -- In his last two starts for New York, Jae Seo has not allowed a run in 14 1/3 innings, the longest scoreless streak by a Mets starter this season.

Those two starts were separated by three months in the minor leagues, pitching for Triple-A Norfolk, while Seo waited for another chance at big league hitters.

He was sent down after holding Philadelphia to one hit over seven innings on May 4 and celebrated his return to the Mets on Saturday, limiting the Chicago Cubs to four hits over 7 1/3 innings and outpitching Greg Maddux in a 2-0 victory.

Tired of the inconsistent pitching of Kaz Ishii, the Mets sent the left-hander to Norfolk and brought back Seo for Saturday's start. Now, he'll stick around for at least one more while the Mets mull the return of Steve Trachsel to their rotation.

"I'm glad we got the win today," manager Willie Randolph said. " Jae Seo gets his next start. Then we'll wait and see how it plays out."

Trachsel, out all season because of back surgery, has two more rehab starts scheduled. Ishii had occupied his spot in the rotation all season and was 3-9 with a 5.04 ERA when he was sent down. In light of Seo's performance, Randolph was asked if he thought the switch should have been made earlier.

"I never second-guess myself," the manager said.

Hapless. Great way to describe this team. This is the 2nd horrible streak we have been on lately. We need to turn it around like we did last time.
    I aim to try