Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dale Sveum Fired

AAA ERA

Cubs Dale Sveum Fired

You might make it someday, but it won't be here.
    Former GM of...
    S3SL Padres 2017-2030
    SBSL Isotopes 2007-2009
    TSSL Cubs 2006-2018
    TPSL Cubs 2007-2018

Rookie ERA

Re: Dale Sveum Fired

I know people are saying "how did you expect him to do with a shit roster?", but that's beyond the point.

If you actually watched the Cubs, you saw the problems with Dale. Castro, Rizzo, and Shark all regressed a bit this season while all of the scrappy veteren pick ups flourished. Not to mention how bad he is at handling a bullpen.

Personally I am on the Girardi bandwagon if he becomes available. 90% because of how he did with Miami, 10% because I loved him when he played for the Cubs.
    LeagueTeamRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLKansas City Royals (NYY/TB)3611-351711487
    TBLCleveland Indians1084-6982521
    HSLChicago Cubs2071-17641941

AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Trendy Bastard View Post
    I know people are saying "how did you expect him to do with a shit roster?", but that's beyond the point.

If you actually watched the Cubs, you saw the problems with Dale. Castro, Rizzo, and Shark all regressed a bit this season while all of the scrappy veteren pick ups flourished. Not to mention how bad he is at handling a bullpen.

Personally I am on the Girardi bandwagon if he becomes available. 90% because of how he did with Miami, 10% because I loved him when he played for the Cubs.
    Ya Theo and Jed made it clear all the time. They never held him accountable for wins/losses because the talent wasn't there. They even said trading away so many players wasn't helping Sveum either. Bottom line this came down to how young players were progressing. They even mentioned that's a concern because they have guys like Baez, Bryant, Almora, ect. that will be here the next year or two.

Sveum may be capable of being a good manager, but he wasn't a fit for a team developing young talent. That's the reality of this situation.
    Former GM of...
    S3SL Padres 2017-2030
    SBSL Isotopes 2007-2009
    TSSL Cubs 2006-2018
    TPSL Cubs 2007-2018

AAA ERA

Lots of different takes the last couple days from people in the know:

Pre-firing this was reported:

@dan_bernstein: I'm told the #Cubs have been informed by Joe Girardi's camp that he will listen if they want to talk. Indeed they do.

@dan_bernstein:#Cubs & Girardi are handling everything pursuant to every letter of every law, but this courtship is very real. Both sides seem to want it.

Then right after:

‏@JulieDiCaro: I'm told negotiations with Girardi are much more "developed" than people know. #Cubs

@thekapman: Some members of staff may return. Search underway with Girardi far and away the #1 choice.

From today:

@AndrewMarchand: Source: Yanks unlikely to give Girardi permission to talk with Cubs unless negotiations breakdown between Yanks and Girardi's agent

@Ken_Rosenthal: As #Cubs’ chances for Girardi seemingly diminish, here is one name to keep in mind: #Padres assistant GM and former #Dbacks mgr A.J. Hinch.

@Ken_Rosenthal: Hinch, #Dbacks’ former farm director, has experience working with young players and as MLB mgr. Had little chance to succeed as mgr in AZ.

@thekapman: Joe Girardi's agent meets with Brian Cashman tomorrow in NY. Cubs remain in the mix but out of loyalty the Yankees get the first meeting.
    Former GM of...
    S3SL Padres 2017-2030
    SBSL Isotopes 2007-2009
    TSSL Cubs 2006-2018
    TPSL Cubs 2007-2018

AAA ERA

I think the Yankees would be foolish to deny the Cubs permission. What if Girardi just waits until the 31st and then leaves. Do the Yankees want to wait that long to find a replacement?
    Former GM of...
    S3SL Padres 2017-2030
    SBSL Isotopes 2007-2009
    TSSL Cubs 2006-2018
    TPSL Cubs 2007-2018

AAA ERA

Some interesting tidbits:

Chicago Cubs: New York Yankees manager Joe Girardi could fit the bill for Chicago Cubs - Chicago Tribune
    During a Tribune interview at U.S. Cellular Field in August, Girardi said he hadn't closed the door on one day managing the Cubs.
    "When you're a manager, you think about managing where you're at forever," Girardi said. "But you know the reality of that is that's not always true. I think you think about a lot of different things."

Girardi said he still follows the Cubs from afar and likes what he has seen of the rebuild.

"I see them developing players," he said. "I hear people talking about the players in the minor leagues, and that's all part of it. It can be frustrating at times, but it seems like they've got some pretty good young players and they're making progress."
    Chicago Cubs: Decisions on coaching staff will be left to next manager - chicagotribune.com
    Joe Girardi, the favorite to land the managerial job if offered, could bring Kevin Long with him from the Yankees. Long, like Girardi, is believed to have completed the final year of his contract and is considered an exceptional teacher who can connect with young players and is adept at identifying and correcting flaws.

Long also lives in the Phoenix area in the offseason, which might be enticing because the Cubs conduct spring training in Mesa, Ariz.

One of the Cubs' primary goals is to improve their .300 on-base percentage, which ranked next-to-last in the National League.

"Hitting is an area where it's extremely important to have a great support system for your young hitters and unity among those responsible for coaching and teaching," Epstein said.
    and also from that 2nd article

When asked directly if management would strongly endorse pitching coach Chris Bosio, whose staff posted a 4.00 ERA despite massive turnover, Epstein responded in general terms.

"We delivered strong and clear messages to the coaches about how we felt about them and what we report to the ultimate winning candidate about who is an asset, a weapon, and who should be retained if possible," Epstein said.

Two scouting sources said two weeks ago that Derek Johnson, the Cubs' minor league pitching coordinator, could receive an endorsement because of his work this season with prospects.
    I actually would be worried if we went with Derek Johnson. If it doesn't work out I don't want to lose him as our minor league pitching coordinator. At least while he was the MLB pitching coach he'd still have tons of say.
    Former GM of...
    S3SL Padres 2017-2030
    SBSL Isotopes 2007-2009
    TSSL Cubs 2006-2018
    TPSL Cubs 2007-2018

AAA ERA

@jcrasnick: Brad Ausmus not expected to be in mix for #cubs managing job, say industry sources. Great potential, not enough experience.

@jcrasnick: #Cubs have talked to #padres about A.J. Hinch. They've yet to ask for permission to interview him, but probably will shortly.

@JulieDiCaro: Despite the Yankees' big push, the #Cubs are still quietly confident they'll at least be competitive in the battle for Girardi..

@JulieDiCaro: I'm told the #Cubs are willing to spend to get Girardi. Still cheaper than getting a starting pitcher.

@TomLoxas: Trying to confirm Girardi camp told NY he wants Cubs meeting.

@TomLoxas: Hearing money won't be an obstacle for #Cubs in Girardi pursuit.

@TomLoxas: Money not central issue for Girardi however.
    Former GM of...
    S3SL Padres 2017-2030
    SBSL Isotopes 2007-2009
    TSSL Cubs 2006-2018
    TPSL Cubs 2007-2018

Rookie ERA

Keep Derek Johnson in the minors for as long as possible. Then push for him to be the pitching coach.

Rookie ERA

Quote Originally Posted by DMBZeppelin View Post
    @TomLoxas: Trying to confirm Girardi camp told NY he wants Cubs meeting.
    /drool

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

feel free to have him.

Rookie ERA

Just go tell the douchebag brothers the same, thanks Hammer.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

you can have them too. alas, i dont think that parts plausible.

Rookie ERA

i don't want them, just girardi.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    you can have them too. alas, i dont think that parts plausible.
    Trade them to Mach's team

Rookie ERA

Sveum was hired as a coach by KC. Good for him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast