Thread: No luck in crunch time—on, off field

AA ERA

No luck in crunch time—on, off field

No luck in crunch time—on, off field
    By Paul Sullivan
    Tribune staff reporter

July 28, 2005, 11:23 PM CDT

The Cubs find themselves in an unusual position three days before the trading deadline, trying to win a wild-card playoff spot with inexperienced players in several key roles.

If it works, the Cubs can have their cake and eat it too.

If it doesn't, general manager Jim Hendry may be second-guessed in October for failing to fill holes during the season and relying on youth.

After Thursday's 6-0 loss to Arizona, first baseman Derrek Lee addressed the degree of difficulty in winning now and looking ahead at the same time.

"It is tough," Lee said. "This is pretty much crunch time, and we have some young guys on the roster we have to use. Arizona is fighting in their division. It's a little tougher in crunch time to develop players, but you have to do it."

With a lineup that included rookies Ronny Cedeno and Matt Murton, the Cubs managed only five hits against Diamondbacks left-hander Brad Halsey and three relievers, going 0-for-8 with runners in scoring position.

They are three games behind Washington and Houston in the National League wild-card chase, but lost a prime opportunity to gain some ground.

While Hendry works to make a deadline deal for another outfielder and reliever, manager Dusty Baker insisted Hendry's hands are tied by several factors.

"There are so many teams in the race, these guys aren't available right now," Baker said. "And if they are, they want your top three guys in the minor leagues, and you don't want to mortgage all the future for the present."

Boston left fielder Manny Ramirez is available after asking to be traded, but the Cubs aren't likely to swallow a contract that pays him $57 million over the next three years after ridding themselves of Sammy Sosa's super-sized contract.

The rest of the field is slim pickings, with no standout players.

I really don't see us doing anything much. Maybe getting one or two small deals done. Gerut was a good pickup and we get Williamson and Nomar back. It's enough to make an impact that should help us, but I'm not sure it's enough to win the Wild Card.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    I think this year will be like last year, that there will be more "trades" after the trade "deadline" than there were before.