Wood agrees to bullpen duty
By Paul Sullivan

Tribune staff reporter
July 25, 2005

The idea of using Kerry Wood out of the bullpen first cropped up as an Internet rumor last winter that Wood and the Cubs repeatedly have shot down ever since.

But bowing to the reality that Wood's recurring shoulder problem will prevent him from lasting long into his starts, the Cubs placed Wood on the 15-day disabled list Monday and announced he will be converted to a relief role for the remainder of the season.

"'Woody' wants to try it," manager Dusty Baker said.

Wood will go on a minor-league rehab stint at Triple-A Iowa after he comes off the disabled list Aug. 5 and will begin adapting to his new role in hopes of a quick return to the Cubs. Though he has chafed at the move before and was visibly upset at a Tribune story May 15 that discussed the possibility of a future move to the bullpen, Wood said Monday he's willing to help the Cubs in any capacity, including as a reliever.

"Absolutely," he said. "I don't care if I can come out and get one guy out and it helps us win, I'll do that. I'd like to offer more than one inning, but this is what I've been I dealt, and if I can get healthy and get throwing again, shortly, I'll get out and try to contribute somehow."

Well I guess we will find out if this will work or not. It's been suggested so much in the past that it's time to find out if it will work.

Also, if Jerome Williams steps up and all stay healthy then Wood can go to the pen and we still have a really good 1-4. With the way the pen has been this could be great.