Baker disputes story on Corey
July 26, 2005

BY MIKE KILEY STAFF REPORTER

When Corey Patterson was asked by a Sun-Times reporter last week in Des Moines if anyone had previously tried to shorten his swing in the Cubs organization, he was quoted as saying: ''Not really.''

When manager Dusty Baker and his coaches saw that, they were taken aback by his comments. They had done nothing but try to shorten his swing in their three years in Chicago, just as former hitting coach Jeff Pentland had worked toward that same goal with Patterson in manager Don Baylor's 2-1/2 years in charge.

Baker explained Monday that Patterson, who is on a rehab assignment in Class AAA Iowa to alter his swing and approach to the ball, said that his comments were mischaracterized in the Sun-Times story. He left a voice mail for Baker telling him that. Baker has yet to speak with Patterson on the phone.

''He called and left a message and said that story wasn't accurate,'' Baker said. ''He said there was no way that whatever he said could be construed as that. He knows we know that's not true.

''We wouldn't be doing our job if we didn't try to improve our players. I said it. [Hitting coach] Gene Clines said it. Sarge [Gary Matthews] said it. I was told Pentland said it before I even got here.''

Baker trusts his player to tell him the truth.

''I tend to want to believe Corey,'' he said. ''Does that sound possible or feasible to you guys, that we haven't said something to him about this? I don't think that would be possible.''

Perhaps this explains Corey's struggles. He can't even figure out what he is being told.

Actually I believe Dusty that this is a mis-quote or mis constured. If they didn't work on it yet.... yikes.