Notes: Cubs have spark plug in Perez
Hill likely to start Saturday; club closes in on 100-game mark

By Carrie Muskat / MLB.com

CHICAGO -- When Nomar Garciaparra returns to the Chicago Cubs, he may have a tough time breaking into the lineup because of shortstop Neifi Perez.
Garciaparra was to begin a stint with Class A Peoria on Tuesday night, but the game was rained out. He has been sidelined since rupturing a tendon in his groin on April 20, and has played two games for the Mesa rookie team so far.

Perez, who expected to be a backup this season, has been the Cubs' full-time shortstop. He is batting .265 overall, but came up with a clutch grand slam on Sunday night against St. Louis, one day after making a key double play to secure a win against the Cardinals. Perez also hit an eighth-inning game-tying RBI single in Monday's game against the Giants, which the Cubs went on to win in the ninth.

"He gave us an instant jolt from the very beginning," Cubs manager Dusty Baker said of Perez, who hit .368 in April. "He was All-Star caliber, and then he squandered a little bit at the break.

"He's played Gold Glove shortstop," Baker said. "He's gotten some big hits for us. He's batted leadoff, he's batted second, he's got 40 RBIs -- that's quite a bit. Neifi's done a great job. I think he's proven that he's more than just a utility guy. There are a lot of shortstops in baseball who are playing who aren't as good as Neifi. Neifi has a lot of life left in him."

Wouldn't Garciaparra automatically bump Perez out of the starting lineup?

"It depends on how Nomar looks when he comes back," Baker said. "Neifi realizes when he came here, he came as a utility guy. I hear, 'Play [Ronny] Cedeno.' What am I supposed to do? Ditch Neifi? This guy saved us. I think Cedeno is going to be a fine player but sometimes you have to wait your turn. Sometimes you have to serve your apprenticeship."

I think you have to gradually work Nomar back in once he is ready. It's quite possible he will be with the team before he's completely ready. I expect Nefi to keep playing until it makes sense to switch Nomar in full time.