Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cubs @ Cardinals - Series Thread

Cubs @ Cardinals - Series Thread

July 22nd Preview:

07/21/2005 12:21 PM ET
    Zambrano looks to ace Cards
    Chicago (48-47) at St. Louis (61-34), 7:10 p.m. CT
    By Kyle Jepson / MLB.com

After dropping the last two games of a four-game set against the Reds, things won't get any easier for the Cubs.

In a key divisional battle, the North Siders head to St. Louis for a three-game set against the Cardinals.

Manager Dusty Baker made it clear that this series carries huge importance for the rest of the season.

"We don't need to make a statement," Baker said. "The only statement we need to make is to win. We'll still be nine games back. That's no statement. The Cardinals are a good team. They're a tough team. But I'll put it like this: They want it, and we need it."

The Cubs couldn't call on anyone more up to the job than Carlos Zambrano.

The right-hander has already pitched one gem against the Cardinals this season. Back on April 20, Zambrano hurled 8 2/3 innings of one-run ball, helping the Cubs to a 3-1 win over the Redbirds.

The Cubs might need a similar outing from Zambrano after the type of pitching they've gotten the last two games.

On Wednesday night, Kerry Wood left in the third inning with shoulder stiffness. The following day, Greg Maddux left after the fifth frame, complaining of "seeing spots."

All told, the bullpen threw eight innings, allowing six runs each time out.

"We need [a strong outing on Friday]," Baker said. "Definitely. The bullpen is a little overworked after these last couple days because of the relatively short outings."

Opposing Zambrano is a pitcher who had some success against the Cubs earlier this year.

Chris Carpenter pitched a seven-hit shutout April 21 as the Cardinals beat the Cubs, 4-0.

This time around, the two will square off against each other to kick off a series that carries huge importance to both teams.

Pitching matchup
    CHC: RHP Carlos Zambrano
    • 7-4, 3.60 ERA in 2005
    • 1-0, 1.04 ERA vs. STL in 2005

STL: RHP Chris Carpenter
    • 14-4, 2.34 ERA in 2005
    • 1-0, 0.00 ERA vs. CHC in 2005

Player to watch
    Michael Barrett has had as much success against Carpenter as any of his fellow Cubs. The catcher is batting .273 (6-for-22) with two home runs in his career against the St. Louis hurler.

Quotable
    "I wasn't feeling that good. It was just all those little white things." -- Greg Maddux, who left Thursday's game in the fifth inning and reported seeing spots

On the Internet
    MLB.TV
    Gameday Audio
    • Gameday
    • Official game notes

On television
    • CHC: WGN
    • STL: FSMW

On radio
    • CHC: WGN 720
    • STL: KMOX 1120

Quick hits
    Aramis Ramirez hit his 25th home run of the season Thursday afternoon, the fourth at Great American Ball Park. Ramirez has nine homers in his career at Great American, tying him for the most by an opposing player in the stadium's young history. ... Derrek Lee went 1-for-5 Thursday, extending his hitting streak at Great American Ball Park to 12 games.

On deck
    • Saturday: at St. Louis, 2:25 p.m. CT
    • Sunday: at St. Louis, 7:05 p.m. CT
    • Monday: at San Francisco, 7:05 p.m. CT

Kyle Jepson is a contributor to MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
    LOVE THEE NOTRE DAME!

Cubs vs. Cardinals, Lee vs. Pujols, Ramirez vs. Rolen, etc... It should be a very exciting series, though tough for us, especially since it is at Busch Stadium. Pitching will be the key. We need to shut down the Cards' offense.
    LOVE THEE NOTRE DAME!

AA ERA
    Huge series if we can get a few wins and start pulling ourselves closer to the Cards. Great pitching matchup tonight too.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

The first game is going to be great. Both Zambrano and Carptenr are great pitchers, and both offese are great.
    LOVE THEE NOTRE DAME!

AA ERA
    I'm going to say Cards win 3-2. Z pitches strong, but it's not enough. Plus we just suck in Busch.
    I aim to try

What a heart-breaking loss. Both Zambrano and Carptenter pitched great, 9 innings 1 ER each, but sitll did not get the decision. We had so many chances to score, but we always came up empty-handed. Walker grounded into 2 DP with runners in scoring position. Urgh. Tough inning in the bottom of the 11, when John Mabry tripled to lead off the inning, and was sqeezed bunt home by Eckstein. I really don't like Eckstein in Cards uniform. Began the game with 10-pitch at bat.
    On the bright side, Jerry Hairston Jr. was 4-5 with the only run scored for us in the game. Other than that, Zambrano had more hits than any player on both team (asides Hairston) with 2. Great pitching duel. Zambrano went 9 innings, allowing 1 run on 3 hits (Rodriguez's home run), and struck out 12 without walking anybody. Chris Carpenter went 9 innings, giving up 1 run on 8 hits, 2 BBs, and 3 Ks.
    LOVE THEE NOTRE DAME!

AA ERA
    I was at a friends house and we ended up watching the end of it. Great game from what I saw. Sad we couldn't win but we shall recover. Cards deserved it more because we just couldn't get those runs in and they did what was necesary. It sucked having the game end like that though and all my friends laughing at me though.
    I aim to try

Yea, I had my two friends, Cardinals fans, giving me an earful after the game.
    LOVE THEE NOTRE DAME!

AA ERA
    During the 2nd inning this kid was giving me crap that the Cubs were getting shutout lol. Atleast I'm not going back to HS for a 5th year though :-p.

My friend Aaron is a Braves and Cardinals fan. Boy does he have it lucky lol.
    I aim to try

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA
    good game by zambrano, crappy game by sergio meatball.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

AA ERA
    I winced when Rusch came in and then again when Sergio did. I noticed he stumbled off the mound when they bunted at the end. Maybe coulda made a play on that. That said, the Cubs made 9 outs with runners on 2nd or 3rd that didn't advance the runners. That just isn't getting the job done at all.

Today's game should be interesting. I forget who is pitching but it should be good.
    I aim to try

AA ERA
    Well Williams is pitching for us, didn't catch who they have going. Pujols, Walker and Rolen are all out, this is one we need to win.
    I aim to try

AA ERA
    Hmmm. They were talking about Aramis last night not hustling on one play. I can't recall the one, but then today he ran hard coming home and slid even though there wasn't a throw, but that didn't look good. Barrett drives in Holly. 2-0 Cubs top 2.
    I aim to try

AA ERA
    Meh. Runners at 2nd and 3rd with 2 outs. Pitcher up though . HEHEHE. Morris is going today BTW.
    I aim to try

AA ERA
    What the ay. Williams walks Morris. Freaking moron.
    I aim to try

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast