Thread: Andrew Cashner To Begin Rehab?

Rookie ERA

Andrew Cashner To Begin Rehab?

Pitcher Andrew Cashner returned to the Chicago Cubs on Monday to begin his rehabilitation as he attempts to come back from two rotator cuff strains that have sidelined him for most of the season.After throwing 20 pitches off the mound in Mesa, Ariz., on Saturday, his first time on the mound in more than two months, Cashner said he threw about 25 pitches on Monday in Pittsburgh.

"Today was my second bullpen. I've been throwing all three pitches with no pain," Cashner said. "I've just been working through some rust letting the ball go. I'll have another bullpen session on Thursday and we'll see where we're at."

Cashner, a first-round pick of the Cubs in 2008 who was considered their top pitching prospect last season, first strained his rotator cuff on April 5 in his first start of the season. The Cubs put him on the 15-day disabled list on April 8. During his rehab, Cashner re-injured the same shoulder during a bullpen session on May 16.
    The Cubs will be cautious with Cashner this time around and will probably just let him go one or two innings at a time as he regains the strength in his shoulder. A month might be enough time for him to get back to the majors and pitch out of the Cubs bullpen in September.

"I think four weeks is a little too long. I believe my goal is two to three weeks to be back," Cashner said. "I think that's realistic, but I'm not putting any timetable on it. We'll just see how my shoulder feels."

A closer at TCU and a reliever with the Cubs as a rookie in 2010, Cashner was converted to a starter in spring training.
    Andrew Cashner re-joins Chicago Cubs, will begin rehab - ESPN Chicago

Mike Quade seems to want to keep him as a starter, which is exciting. Just take you're time, Cash. You're a part of the future.
    LeagueTeamRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLKansas City Royals (NYY/TB)3611-351711487
    TBLCleveland Indians1084-6982521
    HSLChicago Cubs2071-17641941

Rookie ERA

Re: Andrew Cashner To Begin Rehab?

Things seem to be progressing nicely. I want him to be ready for a rotation spot in 2012.

Chicago Cubs right-hander Andrew Cashner will pitch in the Arizona Fall League after the season ends, according to major league sources, in an attempt to build up his arm so he can compete for a rotation spot in 2012.

Cashner made his second rehab appearance on Friday, starting the game at Double-A Tennessee and pitching one shutout inning for the Smokies against Jacksonville. He struck out one.

Cashner is expected to make one more appearance for Tennessee on Monday before being promoted to Triple-A Iowa, where he's expected to make two appearances out of the bullpen. Barring any setbacks, Cashner would then be promoted to the major leagues sometime in early September and pitch out of the Cubs bullpen.

Cashner injured his right rotator cuff in his first major league start on April 5 at Wrigley Field. He was put on the disabled list on April 8. During a rehab session on May 16, Cashner reinjured the rotator cuff and had not pitched competitively until last week.

He has made two appearances at Double-A Tennessee with an ERA of 10.80.

There are no plans for the Cubs to start Cashner in the majors before 2012, according to sources.
    Sources - Chicago Cubs pitcher Andrew Cashner to pitch in Arizona Fall League - ESPN Chicago

Rookie ERA

He looked good tonight, in his first MLB action since the injury!

Rookie ERA

Cashner has definitely looked impressive thus far.

I still have hopes that he'll be a starter next season.

Rookie ERA

Welp, I think my hope of him being a starter next year is starting to fade. I've read multiple tweets/articles/chats that Cashner will most likely stay in the pen next season to build up strength in his shoulder. Not a bad thing...