• 3rd

2 33.33%
  • 4th

2 33.33%
  • 5th

1 16.67%
  • 6th

0 0%

Thread: Where will the Cubs finish in 2011?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Cubs Where will the Cubs finish in 2011?

Productivity came at a premium in 2010. Actually, it was barely visible. Most of the lineup underachieved. Marlon Byrd had a career year, when everyone else had an off year. Starlin Castro added some excitement, and large holes in his glove. Carlos Marmol took a hold of the closer job, struck out 138, and caused roughly 5,600 heart attacks or strokes in the process. Ryan Dempster was either very good or very bad. Sweet Lou quit on the team at probably their lowest point of the season. Record wise, it wasn't the worst season ever for the franchise, but it would seem to have been one of the more depressing in recent memory. What happens in 2011? The outfield is pretty much the same, as Tyler Colvin should get the nod from the very start. There's capable power here but we all know Soriano and Fukudome are not consistent. Blake Dewitt will likely be the starting 2B, unless Jeff Baker wins out. Carlos Pena replaces Derrek Lee, depending on what kind of year Pena has, that could be a downgrade. Castro, Ramirez, and Soto will look to build on their second halves, assuming they're healthy. The top four in the rotation should be solid, but extremely unpredictable. Dempster and Wells are on and then off and then on and then off. Garza and Zambrano have all the talent in the world, if they stay sane long enough. With Kerry Wood returning, the bullpen is capable of striking out every single human being in the world. Or walking them.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Where will the Cubs finish in 2011?

I got the Cubs finishing 4th. The Cubs just don't have the talent to overcome the Reds, Cards and Brewers but they are headed in the right direction. Garza was a good pickup and Colvin and Castro should mature though Colvin will have to fight for playing time. Fukudome and Aramis are in contract years so maybe they pick it up a bit and Soriano lives up to his contract and the Cubs shock the world but I'm not seeing it.

MLB ERA

4th place. Theyre behind (in NO particular order) Reds, Brewers, and the Cardinals even without Wainright.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

Rookie ERA

I'm not sold on any team in this division. I don't think one team is significantly better than the other (besides the Pirates and Astros). Any of these teams could finish anywhere between 1st and 4th.

A lot of things have to go right for the Cubs to win the NL Central, but I wouldn't say I'd be shocked if they did.
    LeagueTeamRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLKansas City Royals (NYY/TB)3611-351711487
    TBLCleveland Indians1084-6982521
    HSLChicago Cubs2071-17641941

AAA ERA

Voted 1st because why not? That doesn't mean I think the Cubs are any good. This division is really bad, and lots of teams have pitching injuries. The one thing I do like about the Cubs is their rotation is solid 1-5 and the pen is pretty darn good. Carlos Marmol appears as if he'll continue to be very very dominant. That lineup is awful though with the exception of Aramis Ramirez and Starlin Castro. I like Colvin and Soto but they're not guys you build a lineup around. Defensively the Cubs have some big issues with aging veterans and inexperienced young guns.

This team reminds me a lot of the 2003 Cubs with less power in the lineup for more power arms in the pen.
    Former GM of...
    S3SL Padres 2017-2030
    SBSL Isotopes 2007-2009
    TSSL Cubs 2006-2018
    TPSL Cubs 2007-2018

Banned
    Rookie ERA

This team has been a train wreck and I first thought the Cubs would Challenge the Reds, Cardinals, Brewers, and actually beat out one of those teams. They may need to start building around Castro and Barney.

Rookie ERA
    Barney is not the future. He's Ryan Theriot v2.0
    LeagueTeamRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLKansas City Royals (NYY/TB)3611-351711487
    TBLCleveland Indians1084-6982521
    HSLChicago Cubs2071-17641941

Banned
    Rookie ERA

I think he will hit for a better average than Theriot, but won't steal bases as much.