Thread: Marmol signs extension

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Cubs Marmol signs extension

Cubs and Carlos Marmol avoided arbitration Monday by agreeing to a three-year, $20 million contract.
    The new contract will cover Marmol's final two years of arbitration and his first year of free agency. He'll take home $3.2 million this season, $7 million in 2012 and $9.8 million in 2013. The new deal also includes a limited no-trade clause. Marmol, a 28-year-old right-hander, had a rough debut with the Cubs in 2006, but he can boast a 2.54 ERA and a strikeout rate of 12.9 K/9 since the start of the 2007 season. There's some risk attached due to the potential for injury, but Marmol should continue to be a pretty good value, even with his control issues. He truly looks to be entering his prime.
    I think Marmol really turned a corner last year and will be a top five closer this year. He finished last season with a 16.0 K/9! That's fucking greatness and I think its a MLB record. He also only gave up one homerun but its the walks that are scary. He averaged 6 BB/9, not good at all. I like the extension as it will save some money and its only for three years.

Rookie ERA
    Yes he broke the K record.

He's dominant, but his walk rate is pretty bad. If he can improve in that area, then he'd definitely be a top 5 closer.
    LeagueTeamRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLKansas City Royals (NYY/TB)3611-351711487
    TBLCleveland Indians1084-6982521
    HSLChicago Cubs2071-17641941

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Marmol signs extension

And his BB/9 definitely went down from 2009 to 2010, while his K/9 increased. I don't think he'll ever be known for his control, but if he got in check just a bit more, he would definitely be at that top five level. Right now, he is still a bit risky with that control, but the potential is huge.

Rookie ERA
    I'm hoping the trend continues.

I can't tell you how many times I've seen Marmol embarrass good hitters. I can't even imagine what that slider looks like at the plate.

I also can't tell you how many times I've seen him walk at least two batters in one inning. It also seems like he does this more often against weaker lineups.

I like the extension. Not a big fan of the backloaded part of it, but I'm glad they got it done.
    LeagueTeamRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLKansas City Royals (NYY/TB)3611-351711487
    TBLCleveland Indians1084-6982521
    HSLChicago Cubs2071-17641941