Thread: Zambrano's Retirement Plans

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Cubs Zambrano's Retirement Plans

Carlos Zambrano repeated that he intends to retire once his current contract expires. He told reporters, including Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune, that he will retire after 2012 or 2013 when his contract is up. As Zambrano said last summer, he wants to spend more time with his family.

"Believe me, baseball takes a lot of time from us," Zambrano said. "So I think, depending on what happens in my career, I think this will be the last contract."

Zambrano's contract calls for a $17.875MM salary in 2011 and an $18MM salary in 2012. A 2013 option for $19.25MM can vest depending on health and Cy Young votes. When Zambrano was placed on the restricted list following his dugout tirade earlier in the year, he was pitching poorly, but he has rebounded with a strong second half. The 29-year-old has a 1.81 ERA since his return, despite his usual high walk rate.
    I'm sure Cubs fans are asking him to retire earlier than 2012. I'm almost positive he will change his mind by then since he will only be 31 when his contract is up. One thing is for sure, with the way he has been pitching lately his trade value might have gone up a little. Hendry might even think about keeping him now.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Zambrano's Retirement Plans

When you're crazy and talented, it sure goes a lot farther than just being crazy. Big Z has pitched like an ace again since his return back to the rotation.

Going For It

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Zambrano's Retirement Plans

I never realized he was that young. I think he plays more than the contract, cause like Reef said, he'll be only 31. He should still have a bunch of good years ahead after that.