Thread: Sosa Is Losing It

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Cubs Sosa Is Losing It

Former Cubs slugger Sammy Sosa told Chicago Magazine that the team "disrespected" him when it allowed other players to wear his former No. 21.

"That number should be untouchable because of the things I did for that organization," Sosa said. "That right there shows me that they don't care about me, and they don't want to have a good relationship with me."

The Chicago Tribune noted pitcher Jason Marquis wore No. 21 from 2007-08 and rookie outfielder Tyler Colvin currently sports it.

During his 13 seasons with the Cubs, Sosa hit 545 of his 609 career homers. Three times from 1998-2001, Sosa hit more than 60 homers in a season. However, his legacy has been tainted because of speculation he used performance-enhancing drugs.

Sosa last played in the majors in 2007, when he hit .252 with 21 homers and 92 RBIs for the Texas Rangers.
    Now Sammy remembers how to speak English? Sosa must be smoking some of my stash because this is just out of this world! He honestly can't see why the Cubs aren't retiring his number? Does he not remember his last day as a Cub? The Cubs endured his lies and bullshit and no longer need this. Go hide somewhere Sammy. Maybe Bartman needs a roommate

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Sosa Is Losing It

Sosa might have done a lot for the organization, but his legacy is questionable and honoring it would only bring that into further question. Perhaps an official retirement might not be the best route, right now anyway, but the very least the Cubs could have done was "unofficially" block it from others. Not because Sosa deserves it so much, but to avoid this type of situation.

Also, is Sammy still looking like a zombie?

Rookie ERA
    His skin turned black again apparently, who knew..

Anyway, I agree with you guys. As a cubs fan I admired Sosa for years. But we all slowly started to turn on him. I don't think he realizes that he embarrassed the whole fan base with the corked bat, then again with the end of the 04 season, and yet again when he didn't address the PEDs accusation.

Sammy, thanks for the home run chase in 08, and for the three 60+ HR seasons. But no thanks. Your not worth the retirement of number 21.
    LeagueTeamRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLKansas City Royals (NYY/TB)3611-351711487
    TBLCleveland Indians1084-6982521
    HSLChicago Cubs2071-17641941

Going For It

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Sosa Is Losing It

Yeah I am with you guys as well on this situation.

I don't expect my Sens to honour Danny Heatley anytime soon either.
    Sosa would have been wise to just leave this situation alone. If he would be lucky enough, maybe the Cubs honour him in some way down the road. Expecting to be given the accolades is really a dick move.