Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lou Piniella to Step Down

MLB ERA

Cubs Lou Piniella to Step Down

Following today's game. I guess he just isn't having any fun anymore, but I can't say I blame him. His team has underachieved all season. Mike Quade will take over as the interim manager.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Lou Piniella to Step Down

Wow, he must not be having fun at all. I can't see the Cubs forcing him out mid-season when he already announced he was done so this is pretty shocking.

Rookie ERA
    I'm pretty surprised about this. I'm even more surprised that Alan Trammel isn't being considered to succeed him. I just have a bad feeling that Sandberg is going to end up being manager next year.
    LeagueTeamRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLKansas City Royals (NYY/TB)3611-351711487
    TBLCleveland Indians1084-6982521
    HSLChicago Cubs2071-17641941

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

WAAAAAHHH!! You took away my war chest. I'm going home!

Just another overrated manager who thinks too highly of himself to stick through a rough patch. I imagine Joe Torre will follow suit.

In contrast, even Jim Leyland gave the post-championship fire sale Florida Marlins a full year.

Rookie ERA

Supposedly the sudden departure is because his mother's health is rapid declining.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Tobywan is right. His mother is not doing well so why not spend time with her in her final days rather than deal with getting your ass kicked every game. Lou's last game pretty much sums up the whole year for him. They are currently getting crushed 14-5. And why would it be a bad thing for Sandberg to take over next year? And mofo, Torre's contract is up after this season and the Dodger scould use his money off the books so why do you care if he leaves?

Rookie ERA
    Because Sandberg has no experience. Maybe bring him up to be a bench coach for a few seasons first.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    And mofo, Torre's contract is up after this season and the Dodger scould use his money off the books so why do you care if he leaves?
    I don't. My problem with him is that he has approached his final year on the job like a lame duck. And the money off the books is moot, since the savings will surely go toward Jamie McCun'ts alimony payment.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I think the savings will go towards Ted Lilly but that's just me.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Trendy Bastard View Post
    Because Sandberg has no experience. Maybe bring him up to be a bench coach for a few seasons first.
    Sandberg has worked his way up managing throughout the minors and knows the young guys the Cubs will start to rely on more and more better than anyone. He has no MLB experience but he does have managerial experience.

Rookie ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Sandberg has worked his way up managing throughout the minors and knows the young guys the Cubs will start to rely on more and more better than anyone. He has no MLB experience but he does have managerial experience.
    Yes, I realize this. But you have to understand that outside of the average Cubs fan, we don't want a "rookie" for a manager. Just because he's a hall of famer and has worked his way through the minors doesn't mean he's ready to manage a national league ball club.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Well the veteran managers haven't been working so why not a rookie who knows the players more than any outsider? Who do you want? Alan Trammel? I think Sandberg would be a great choice given the direct the Cubs are needing to go which is with youth. He has paid his dues.

Going For It

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trendy Bastard View Post
    Yes, I realize this. But you have to understand that outside of the average Cubs fan, we don't want a "rookie" for a manager. Just because he's a hall of famer and has worked his way through the minors doesn't mean he's ready to manage a national league ball club.
    Sal Fasano may become the manager of the Jays next season. Hall of Fame stache', not a hall of fame player. Worked in the minors, and most likely isn't ready to be a American League manager, and I really couldn't care less. Guys like that need to find their legs somewhere.

It helps that I know the team isn't the greatest, but that helps. It's "fun" to see where this goes.

Rookie ERA
    At this point I have no idea who I want. What I do know is I want nothing to with Joe Torre, Bob Brenly, and Bobby Valentine. I'd rather have Sandberg than any of those guys.

Once I start hearing about who the team is interested in, I'll tell you who I think they should hire.

Rookie ERA
    The team interviewed Eric Wedge today, and MLB Trade Rumors mentions him, Sandberg, Girardi, and Valentine is the top candidates.

I guess I wouldn't mind Wedge too much, but I would love to snag Girardi from the Yankees.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast