Thread: Cubs trade Fox, Miles for A's Gray

Cubs Cubs trade Fox, Miles for A's Gray

CHICAGO -- Aaron Miles will get a fresh start, Jake Fox may finally get a chance to play more regularly and the Cubs added a power arm to the bullpen in a deal Thursday with the Oakland Athletics.

The Cubs acquired pitchers Jeff Gray and Ronny Morla and highly touted prospect Matt Spencer from the A's for Miles, Fox and cash.
    Rest of the story:
    Cubs trade Fox, Miles for A's Gray | cubs.com: News
    LOVE THEE NOTRE DAME!

Re: Cubs trade Fox, Miles for A's Gray

I am glad that Fox is getting more opportunities to play. His bat is pretty decent, except we have Lee at first and Ramirez (when not hurt) at third, so there's really no room for him to play. He could fit well in the A's lineup.

I don't know much about A's players. How's Spencer? What position does he play? I don't think it mentioned it in the article except that he's a highly touted prospect. How about Gray and Morla. Who are they?
    LOVE THEE NOTRE DAME!

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Cue Providence A's instant analysis:
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

It probably means that Cust is done as an Athletic. Spencer could play 1B and OF. Morla may be better out of the pen, but needs some work (throws hard steadily). Gray is at the point in his career where he needs to prove he is a major league reliever as he's been on the cusp.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

The Cubs' goal was get rid of Aaron Miles and save $1.7 million, whereas the A's view this trade as paying $1.7 million is well worth getting Jake Fox. Billy Beane can't resist getting a hitter undervalued because he's playing out of position, although the A's are fortunate to have the DH rule.