Thread: Cubs give away Heilman to Dbacks for free

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Cubs Cubs give away Heilman to Dbacks for free

Well, not exactly free. While I am rooting for Ryne White to become the next Dan Uggla and Scott Maine to become the next..uh..pitcher equivalent to Alberto Callaspo, I wouldn't bet on it.

Chicago gets 24-year-old left-hander Scott Maine and 23-year-old infielder Ryne White. Maine, a sixth-round draft pick in 2007, was a combined 4-5 with seven saves and a 2.90 ERA with Double-A Mobile and Triple-A Reno last season. White, a fourth-round draft pick in 2008, hit .266 with 58 RBIs for Class A Visalia.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Re: Cubs give away Heilman to Dbacks for free

White was their 18th best prospect at the beginning of the season. I don't think those numbers put him much higher in the class after this season either. He did finish third in batting in NCAA Division 1 one time and he is said to be their best defensive first bagger.

Yet, I still don't see this as an even trade.

We could really use Heilman in the pen next year, and in the rotation if Marshall, Shark, and others fail at 5th spot. Maybe Hendry has a plan, but who knows. Last year I thought one of the trades would lead to Peavy, but we ended up with Heilman.
    LOVE THEE NOTRE DAME!

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Alberto Callaspo is a pitcher now? I would have given Heilman away for that package without hesitation. Dbacks need bullpen but don't think Heilman is the answer but he can play the role of the long reliever.

Now the Heilman trade seem pointless in a way (last year). It sounded Hendry really LOVE Heilman, and then to give him up after one season. We traded away some prospects that were rumored as part of the asking price for Peavy to get Heilman, and then just trade him away after one season. It just doesn't make too much sense.
    LOVE THEE NOTRE DAME!

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Could be a very good trade for the D'Backs. Heilman's ERA dropped about .50 after the ASG and most of his numbers were improved (outside of an increased HR total), plus his stats away from Wrigley were much improved too.