Thread: Cubs (or any other team) have tough decision on Harden

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

MLB Cubs (or any other team) have tough decision on Harden

Rich Harden's contract an off-season challenge for Chicago Cubs -- chicagotribune.com

Harden has been the Cubs' most consistent starter in the second half with a 3-1 record and 1.64 earned-run average, with a 4-1 strikeouts-to-walks ratio. But he could become a sought-after free agent after the season, so the Cubs have to make a decision on how much they're willing to offer him.

General manager Jim Hendry never considered trading Harden before the July 31 deadline, believing the Cubs would be in contention the rest of the season.

Whether they are or not now, eight games behind the Cardinals in the National League Central and seven in back of the Rockies for the wild card, they will have plenty of competition to re-sign Harden. At 27, his strong second half and career numbers should make him an attractive option in a relatively lean year for starters.
    The writer seems to think he could get a 4-year deal worth $50-$60 mil. Buster Olney doesn't think Harden will get more than $20 mil.

Buster Olney Blog - ESPN (insider blog)

Even after pitching well for nearly a full season last year, Ben Sheets wasn't seeing offers in the Oliver Perez range, so I wonder how many teams would offer Harden a multi-year deal given his injury history.
    I'm sure someone will pony up despite the injury risk. He's only 27 years old and I'm sure that will be tantalizing enough along with the talent for someone to take the risk. I think he would benefit from staying in the NL. I wonder if the Dodgers would be willing to take the risk. I imagine he would do well in that park.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Cubs (or any other team) have tough decision on Harden

The Cubs put Harden on waivers and he has been claimed. Rumor is multiple NL teams put in claims.

MLB ERA

MLBtaderumors says that the Twinkies claimed him, too. I doubt he gets moved, but you never know...

MLB ERA

The Twins did in fact claim Harden and the Giants claimed Heilman.

Sources confirm Minnesota Twins claim Chicago Cubs right-handed pitcher Rich Harden - ESPN Chicago

ESPNChicago sources confirmed reports that the Minnesota Twins were awarded a waiver claim on Chicago Cubs right-handed pitcher Rich Harden, and that the San Francisco Giants are the team that was awarded a claim on right-hander Aaron Heilman.

In both cases, the teams have until noon on Monday to agree to a deal. The Cubs can also let the players go for the waiver price of $20,000 or pull either player back from waivers.
    I don't see a deal getting done for either.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

This could be absolutely HUGE for the Twins if they can somehow get a deal done. I really hope they can.
    -Chris
    Don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game.