Thread: He makes sense for once

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Cubs He makes sense for once

I chuckle at Steve Phillips saying something that actually makes sense (still waiting for Joe Morgan and Tim McCarver to do it too), that the cubs should consider going after Freddy Sanchez to be the 2B, put Fontenot in a utility role and it adds to the depth, giving Aramis Ramirez backup.

It also keeps Andres Blanco away from the field and plate. Another good thing. So yeah, good but obvious call. The cubs could use a shot of life, Sanchez is a spunky guy and he hits for a good average, he'd be useful at the top of the lineup since Soriano has been moved down (rightfully so and he should stay down there) and Fukudome just doesn't seem like he's going to be a top of the order guy despite a decent OBP- he just doesn't make enough contact. The depth part is also important, I think they were really hurt because they just didn't have someone who could consistently fill in and play at a high level. Jake Fox, not a bad surprise, and I would keep him around cause he proved he could be an emergency catcher even (he used to be one, then converted, but he did handle himself well considering) cause he does give them power but as a full time guy? Eh. Micah Hoffpaiur and Sam Fuld have shown some flashes, but you'd want veteran depth. It makes for a good forecast into next season, considering all of the young guys used.

But with Sanchez, providing more stability on offense will be important. They need it, I don't see Ramirez being the impact he was cause he is not fully healthy and he's going to play with hesitation in fear of damaging his shoulder again. You can't depend on Milton Bradley or Geovany Soto (when he returns) figuring things out.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA

Re: He makes sense for once

i agree with you for the most part, as Its going to be until next year that Ramirez is back to his old form. he's shown some signs of it, but i dont expect his power numbers to be back until next year.

blanco isnt that bad in the field, but not good enough to offset that pathetic bat.

I wouldnt mind sanchez for this year, but doesnt he have a pretty expensive vesting option for next year if he hits like 600 PA's?
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

MLB ERA

Re: He makes sense for once

Yeah, it's for 6-8 mil... falls in there somewhere once he hits 600 ABs. Might even be 600 PAs... dunno.

I agree it gives us nice depth, and the vesting option doesn't really bug me (although I'd much rather the money go to a frontline starter in the offseason than another middle infielder with no power). It's a move I'd be fine with if it didn't cost us anything. Our farm is depleted enough, but we do have a ton of bullpen depth... so if you could acquire him by tossing them a few AA or AAA arms, then go ahead I suppose.

But I'd still keep Fukudome in the leadoff spot... he's hitting over .300 since moving to the top of the order, and in my eyes, there's no where else in the lineup where he'll be as efficient. Maybe it's because I've been wanting to see him leadoff for a long time now, but I just don't see him being effective anywhere else. Hits into a ton of double plays, 2-hole isn't really a good option. I wouldn't want to bat him 8th with the pitching coming up, because he does sport good OBP-abilities... 3-4-5 doesn't work because he has little to no power. I guess you could slot him 6 or 7, but that's where he was batting before mostly (7 I believe) and did squat.

With Lilly out, we might have more pressing needs anyway. I have a hunch he's not going to return to the team as a SP this year if he makes it back. If we fall out of the race, we'll probably shut him down... but as of now, out for a month+?

Hart's the most likely fill-in candidate, but his k-bb ratio is just dreadful and he gives up a lot of hits, so you have to assume the league is going to catch up to him quick. I like him more as a longterm reliever anyway.

Samardijza could be interesting, and I think might start tomorrow anyway... but I get the feeling they don't want to throw him into the fire. I don't know, he's been with the team for awhile now and we're wasting his service time in a mopup role, I'd just ****ing start him if there's an open spot.

Marshall has become a really good reliever for us, and I wouldn't want to move him out of his role. He can come in and get outs at any point in the game... he's very universal. Stranded the most runners in the NL this year I believe.

A guy like Halladay is out of the question obviously (we don't have the pieces anyway), but another starter for depth would be nice. I don't even know who's out there and wouldn't cost a lot. You've got guys like Lee and Halladay who figure to be pretty pricey, and then 2nd-tier guys like Washburn who I don't know if I'd want to take a chance on anyway.

It'll be interesting though. I figure we have to be buyers. We're finally getting hot, but every time someone gets healthy another player goes down it seems like... there's not enough time to fall out of the race before the deadline, too.

I don't think Freddy Sanchez puts us over the top or even gives us an edge, though. At the same time, there's not many reasonable candidates that would....

I'd love a power hitting 2B. If I had one wish for this team, that's what I'd like. And if someone says "Derosa" I'll shit in your mouth. He's a great fit for the Cardinals anyway, LaRussa can be cute and play him at a different position every day.

BIZARRE AND MY MOM!!!!!
    u still fat