Thread: Slumping Barrett sees Lee helping him catch fire

AA ERA

Slumping Barrett sees Lee helping him catch fire

Slumping Barrett sees Lee helping him catch fire
    June 30, 2005

BY JOE GODDARD Staff Reporter

Michael Barrett is in a batting slump. He's counting on Derrek Lee, his role model and teammate, and even Paul Konerko of the rival White Sox, to lead him out of the forest.

"I don't need to talk hitting with 'D','' Barrett said of Lee, who is a National League Triple Crown candidate [batting average, home runs and RBI]. "I learn just by watching him.

"His knowledge of his own zone is amazing. He can lay off a strike knowing he can't do anything with it even when it's in his zone. He sees the ball from the moment it leaves the pitcher's hand to the split-second it crosses the plate. Me, I sometimes find myself just swinging away.''

Barrett found himself swinging away at anything in April when he struggled to stay above .200, but a nine-game hitting streak in May during which he hit .387 vaulted him over .300. He's down to .265 now after an 0-for-11 skid that has had him struggling to contribute to a four-game win streak.

''Consistency is the key,'' Barrett said. ''I can avoid the peaks and valleys by just being consistent, but it's not that easy.

''Peaks and valleys are going to happen. You just don't want too many valleys.''

If it's any consolation to the catcher, he has moved into third place in All-Star Game balloting behind fans' choice Mike Piazza of the New York Mets and Paul Lo Duca of the Florida Marlins.

Barrett didn't know that, but he'll understand if he's not chosen by National League manager Tony La Russa of the St. Louis Cardinals.

"I'm not having that good a year with my run production,'' he said of only 34 RBI, which is less than half the total of NL leader Carlos Lee of the Milwaukee Brewers. ''That's how I judge a season offensively -- run production.

Barett has been a really good player for the last year and half. Real impressed with him. He has his slumps but he gets a lot of hits and is much better then Hundley and Bako and Miller ever were.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Yea, he's pretty good. He's my backup catcher on one of my fantasy teams and helped out when Pudge was hurt and missing some time.

AA ERA
    I got him and Zaun on one team. Hasn't helped as much as I was wishing, but he's been our best catcher in a while.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by awefullspellare
    I got him and Zaun on one team. Hasn't helped as much as I was wishing, but he's been our best catcher in a while.
    Offensively, yes, but I would much rather have Miller back. He's good at game calling, and he helped the 2003 pitching staff to a good pitching year.
    LOVE THEE NOTRE DAME!