Wood activated, Borowksi designated for assignment
June 29, 2005

CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

CHICAGO -- The Chicago Cubs activated Kerry Wood from the disabled list Wednesday before his start against the Milwaukee Brewers.

To make room for Wood, the Cubs designated right-handed reliever Joe Borowski for assignment.

Wood went on the disabled list May 3 with a right shoulder strain. He last pitched for the Cubs on April 30, when he got a no-decision in a 7-5 loss at Houston, but has made three minor-league rehab starts.

Borowski had 33 saves for the Cubs in 2003 as Chicago made the playoffs and advanced to the league championship series. Over the past two seasons, however, the 34-year-old Borowski has been hampered by injuries.

In 2004, Borowski recorded eight straight saves in April and May. However he went on the DL with a right shoulder strain June 6 and finished the year with a 2-4 record, nine saves and 8.09 ERA in 22 games.

Borowski seemed to be rounding back into shape during spring training this year, but was hit by a line drive and opened the season on the DL with a fractured bone in his wrist.

Borowoski made his season debut with the Cubs on May 20, but has appeared in only 11 games. He's 0-0 with a 6.55 ERA in 11 innings.

"It was very tough (decision)," Cubs manager Dusty Baker said. "I've been wrestling with it for about a week. I was trying to figure out things, figure out ways, and I didn't figure out a way.

"It's very tough, especially for a guy who has given his all here and really busted it. He's one of the primary reasons we turned it around."

Baker said the Cubs couldn't carry 13 pitchers and "it came down to Joe was No. 13."

Sad to see Joe leaving, but he just wasn't working out. Good decision. If he gets down into our minors and gets good again I'm sure he could go back up to the majors but who knows.